420d Nylon for Kayak Skin?

toddn.robinson

Now that I am getting ready to skin my Vardo, I am looking around for fabric options.  I would like to support Jeff, and buy his 6.0 oz premium fabric, but at $7.00 per foot that fabric is three times the cost of 420d nylon and money is quite tight for me. The nylon is easy to work, soft and drapes really well, completely waterproof, and UV resistant. Anyone used it?

Resist the urge, Todd...  Stick with polyester.  I have skinned in cheap fabric, and fought through to a successful end of many frustrating days of, "Where the heck are the pinholes now?!?"  I have also, bit the bullet, bought the good stuff, and went, "Well, dang, that's more like it!"  The good stuff is the good stuff for a reason.

Nobody ever finished a boat and went, "On second thought, I sure wish I would have used inferior materials instead..."  Not to minimize the cost factor, but if you think $100 for a skin is a stretch...try building with Okoume plywood where it's $50-$70 per sheet, you need 4-5 sheets, freight delivery is $160, and there's no doubt that the freight guys are gonna mess up something en route.

My yak skinned with the good stuff was hands down the easiest install and produced the best final product.

I have used both nylon and polyester. For color the polyester is the best. I used the 8oz and it was tough to fill the pull holes in the stitches. Still draw water somewhere on day paddles. Jeff had some 11 oz for a while and I used it to re-skin a boat. It held up well and my colors were great. I don't remember it leaking but I had to re-skin again after a couple years due to a broken deck beam. I went with nylon that time from skinboats but the dye wasn't what I wanted but I was able to paint over Corey's goop with Rustoleum and get a good bond that is still god after 3 years. If I remember my decision then Jeff was having some trouble with suppliers plus I had just reskinned a friends boat with the nylon and liked it. 

I will I'll add though that spending just a little more for good material will save angst in the long run and you'll be happier with the results. 

I was looking for a way to compare 420 dennier fabric to what I sell but there is not way to directly compare the two, tow different methods of measure. But I am pretty sure that it is much lighter and I would assume more fragile. But without some in hand I cannot be sure. 

You want to start with an uncoated fabric, the coating on all the nylons I have seen will not hold up very well long term. Nylon is very non-stick and even good commercial coatings will fail over time. Cheap fabric probably equals cheap coating.  Most are not truly waterproof but are water resistant.  When you put them under pressure they will start to seep.  Plus you still have to seal the holes where you sew it on the frame

If you want nylon, buy if from someone that knows kayaks and not a fabric store. You will not find anyone else that builds kayak as a business that  uses a precoated fabric and there is a reason for that.

Thanks very much for the guidance guys.  Jeff, please understand that I in no way meant to criticize you or your prices.  You have been nothing but a gentleman, and a source of good information.  I just cant afford the good dacron right now.  Guess I'll just have to wait a while and try to save some cash (heavy sigh)

Thanks again.

No one has mentioned the economy 6 oz. polyester Jeff sells at $3 a foot.  I have not used it but I'm sure someone who has will wade in.  Jeff has this disclaimer on his site:

"DRAWBACKS - We have sold a good bit of this and the feedback we are receiving is the fabric is hard to seal because of the loose weave. After 3 coats of paint there are lots of pin holes so it is taking several coats of paint to seal the weave. Also, the loose weave it harder to work with than other fabrics."  Could be a great compromise for the OP.

No offense taken. I know the prices are not cheap. I am just glad to have these fabrics. Finding anything suitable is hard!

The 6 oz poly is cheap.... that it about the only thing I can say I like about it. I sell a lot of it but I really don't like it. But if you have more time than money it is a good fabric. Just a real pain to sew and seal up.

2 hours ago, mitchmellow said:

No one has mentioned the economy 6 oz. polyester Jeff sells at $3 a foot.  I have not used it but I'm sure someone who has will wade in.  Jeff has this disclaimer on his site:

"DRAWBACKS - We have sold a good bit of this and the feedback we are receiving is the fabric is hard to seal because of the loose weave. After 3 coats of paint there are lots of pin holes so it is taking several coats of paint to seal the weave. Also, the loose weave it harder to work with than other fabrics."  Could be a great compromise for the OP.

I did 3 boats with this the economy fabric - FreeB and the two Kidyaks - it's doable, but as mentioned, is accompanied with more than it's fair share of frustration.  Took FOREVER to get all the pinholes in FreeB sealed.  Pretty sure the Kidyak I tried to pre-seal with Loctite PL premium still has a few pinholes. However, the other Kidyak that I just varnished for a translucent finish sealed quite nicely with three coats.  While I did learn my lesson on FreeB, I wasn't going to throw any more money than absolutely necessary for the 7 & 9 year olds.