Vardo Coaming Question

toddn.robinson

I understand that the plywood coaming design is intended to be screwed in, with the skin sandwiched between the lower coaming and the upper coaming.  I understand too that, in contrast, the laminated coaming is drilled and sewn in.  I am wondering why the difference in attachment methods.  I inadvertently went too quickly, and glued up all three layers of my plywood coaming. It is sanded smooth and is ready for finishing.  Now that it is all finished I realized my error, but there is no realistic way to remove a layer of plywood. I know I could trim the upper coaming back and add a new upper layer, making, in essence, a 4 layer coaming rather than one with 3 layers.  But it would weigh more, and  I did not want to purchase another piece of ply from which to fashion the additional layer of upper coaming to sandwich the skin between. So, I drilled the holes as if my coaming were laminated rather than plywood.  It seems solid, and I wonder what the harm is of sewing it in place. Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

To Todd: I haven't glued my plywood coaming pieces yet, but I do have the same question as you. Why can it not be drilled and sewn in the same as a laminated coaming? The only reasons that come to mind are the drilling is done essentially into the edges of the plywood causing potential for delaminating (?). Or maybe the drilled holes make the plywood vulnerable to water damage(?). Can you tell us what you ended up doing?

To Abyssdncr: I see no drilled holes or stitching on the outside of your coaming. Are you saying you cut a fourth layer and attached it under the skin? 

9 hours ago, benhardt57 said:

To Abyssdncr: I see no drilled holes or stitching on the outside of your coaming. Are you saying you cut a fourth layer and attached it under the skin? 

No 4th layer.  The lip is covering the holes appearance from the outside, but you can clearly see the fabric and stitches inside the coaming.  I'll take a better pic tonight.