RIP Hugh "Buck" Wilde

Jay Lancaster

We are still reeling over the news. We have collaborated on boat designs for close on 30 years, the red boat above is one that we did about a decade ago. In fact we had just recently started on a new 41 footer for a customer in Maryland and he was scheduled to come over last Tuesday for another design brain storming session. He was always thinking on ways to improve on the building methods and loved to push the 3d modeling as far as we could so that we could use the technology by machining out as much as possible in advance to make the build more efficient. After the three of us spent a few hours together we could always expect at least two phone calls on his way home as his fertile mind was racing after leaving the shop.

We have always expected this to happen sooner as he was not healthy and his brother died from a heart attack when he was fairly young. The finality is the hardest part for me. The realization that I will never be able have him visit or call him again is tough.

What a shame, way too young.... He was a hard working fellow that was just coming into his own with his second life's dream, operating his own boat shop. We are surely going to miss him and his brand of passive"opinions" too. LOL  My tagline says it all for sure. Thanks Jay for providing this thread.

• Like 1

You got that right. He could take a simple "Yes" and turn it into  a  chapter for some editorial in the newspaper. I remember the time when he pinned an editorial rebuttal to one of his favorite targets after he ran for office in what he considered to be the :wrong party" you know.  hehe