Humph! Won't fit!

Jknight611

Jay,...

Take it to a good body or truck shop. They might be able to straighten the mast. It'll be somewhat weaker, but maybe a welded doubler strip on the foreward side could restore enough strength. A good structural engineer should be able to figure out if it can be properly repaired. That would cost a bit unless you could fine an sailing engineer who would do it for a nice afternoon sail.

Don't feel too bad. Our memories are far from perfect. I once pulled a rigged catboat under [a hot] electric cable -- breaking the cable and bending the aluminum mast into a 20 degree massive kink. It couldn't be repaired. Lucky I wasn't electrocuted!

I have emailed the experts. Alan suggested replacing the lower section so, I am going to replace the lower section of mast. I am amazed by the strength of the mast and I would never be at ease with anything else. Drilling rivets tomorrow!

Sure messes up the weekend! This is sailing season on the South Coast! Summer here is calm ( except for the thunderstorms) and ridiculously hot! We had planned a 3 day mini cruise.

My butt is sore from kicking it!!

Oh well, a bug splat on the windshield of life.....

Jay,

I am sure that everyone here wishes that they had a nickel for every one of these "if only I could hit the replay button and do it over".

I am sorry that you will miss out on the sail. I saw Alan's reply, I second his recommendation. It is good for me to see that the structure behaved as it was supposed to.