Clear epoxy for natural wood look

ecgossett

2 or 3 coats of B&B. work the first coat into the ply with a spreader, like a bondo spreader.  keep subsequent coats light, either using spreader again for 2d or a brush, but not post-1405-0-64372700-1483904788_thumb.jpgrolled.  wash between coats to remove amine blush, and sand between coats as needed to keep things smooth. sand the final coat smooth with 120, maybe up to 220.  finish with spar varnish, 2 or 3 or more coats. photo shows 1st coat of varnish on decks.

It was about half a quart can to put two coats of varnish on the decks you see there plus the transom.  Then the weather caught up to me, and I had to put it away for the winter.  It was too cold on the day I put the second coat on, so I'll probably put two more on in the spring, sanding more than usual to get the second coat smoother.   I'm using Zspar by Petit, mostly because I've used it for years and feel like I know how it will go on.  I used the same approach on my previous boat, a Bluegill, and it lasted far longer than it should have, given the neglect that boat endured in later life.

If you have the ability to spray you may also consider automotive clear coat.  I have used it on a number of projects and it has held up well.  The wife's kayak  is 15 years old and I buffed it for the first time last year.  Looks like the day I sprayed it.

Most epoxies will give you a nice clear finish.  I have used west with and with out the special hardener, proset, raka and others.  I could never tell the difference.

Another product I have had good luck with is Bristol Yacht Finish.  It is a 2 part system that is similar to an automotive clear coat but with more UV inhibitors.  It has a more amber cast, much like a traditional spar varnish.  I have beat the daylights out of some of my boats that have been coated with it and it has held up amazingly well.  It sprays well but has the safety issues of many of the 2 part systems.  I have also rolled and tipped it and had it shrink up nicely and looks pretty close to being sprayed.

post-5613-0-61696400-1484327471_thumb.jpg

post-5613-0-88803800-1484327506_thumb.jpg