A solo cruise in "Tattoo," a CLC PocketShip . .

"Remembering the good times on the Shallow Water Sailors (SWS) 2012 Spring Cruise on the Chesapeake Bay’s Chester River – I planned a 3 to 4 day cruise from the Centreville ramp to Davis Creek and then Chestertown and return. That would be about 32 nm total. My plan was to overnight on Davis Creek, then on to the town wharf or a marina in Chestertown the night of Thursday, October 11. I was looking forward to dinner ashore and a cozy bar to watch the vice presidential debate. Not needing a “designated driver,” I was sure to have an enjoyable evening. The weather was predicted to be pretty good with just a few showers from Wednesday thru Saturday and Sunday. Daytime temps in the 70s, 50s at night.

"Leaving Manassas, Virginia, on Wednesday, October 10 at 5am I missed the morning commuter traffic and breakfasted at the McDonald’s on US 50 just west of the Bay Bridge. I launched Tattoo from the Centreville ramp, leaving my “float plan” on the dashboard of my pickup. There was a nice breeze from the west and after many tacks arrived on the south side of Spanish Peninsula at the Corsica River Yacht Club’s dock at just after noon. Tied up for a little lunch.

"After lunch the wind had picked up a bit, so I tucked in a reef, and set out for Davis Creek. When the wind let up some, I shook out the reef and made good time until the outhaul came loose! It was my fault. When putting in the reef, the outhaul line was somehow looped on another cleat when securing the reefing cringle on the leech. She sailed fine when reefed, but when shaken out, the outhaul was a bit slack (I didn’t notice it) and after a few minutes, the line (no longer taught when coming about) shook itself loose from its cleat. Tattoo’s mainsail is loose footed. That left me trying to sail with just a big trapezoidal flag flapping in the breeze.

"Sailing solo required that I start the engine, find an anchorage and set things shipshape. By the time I got it all right – I just motored on up to Davis Creek. I found a beautiful and quiet anchorage and deployed Tattoo’s canopy and side panels. (Tattoo’s inside cabin is very tight for sleeping and I usually sleep in the cockpit.) That job done – I took a break, enjoyed the onset of a quiet evening with a beer and chips. I was looking forward to a hot dinner and a quiet evening.

post-4915-0-00509800-1483651006_thumb.jpeg Looking West. All so peaceful.

post-4915-0-10525900-1483650965_thumb.jpeg A little later looking WNW - Storm clouds building (I didn't notice them before).

"But it was not to be. A hardboiled egg and bottle of Rush’s Two-if-by-Tea would have to do. Contrary to the weather reports, the wind came up very quickly and strong from the north. Checking my VHF marine weather (for the first time), they gave “small craft warnings” until the next morning and predicted nighttime winds of 20 knots, gusts to 35! Tattoo was swinging on her anchor wildly in almost a 180 degree arc. The canopy and side panels were fluttering like mad making lots of noise. And the temperature was dropping fast. I noted my position by the parallax between far shore lights and the closer tree-line silhouette. The wave action, while not gentle, was also not alarming. The anchor held tight throughout the night. The wind remained strong and didn’t let up until past 3am. By early morning twilight the wind was light at my anchorage.

"I had a good sleeping bag and had brought an old army blanket as reserve. It was needed as the temperature dropped into the 50s. I kept warm except for my head. I finally tied on my floppy hat with its chin strap. I have to admit that, if not frightened, I was very concerned during the night. Waking frequently to check Tattoo’s position and the weather, I was relieved each time that the anchor was holding fast and, at least, the wind wasn’t getting any worse. And though the wind and canopy were making a lot of noise, the canopy held fast. Also, it was a beautiful night: very clear, and I’ve never seen stars so bright. And the moon! It rose at about 2am as a waning crescent. At first I thought it was a head light of a car on shore. The VHF weather report was still predicting strong winds through Sunday night. During the night I decided to end my cruise as soon as possible.

"My Davis Creek anchorage was peaceful at first light. I prepared a first class breakfast: coffee, bacon, pancakes (with butter and maple syrup), and 2 sunny side up eggs. The pancakes were “left overs” stowed in a zip-lock bag. Feeling much better, I considered stowing the canopy and sailing off the anchor. But I decided to see what it was like “on the outside” of protected Davis Creek. Good thing! Although it wasn’t “wild,” the wind (from the north) was very strong and as Tattoo came out of the entrance to Langford Creek, the waves began to build up. Giving up any thought of continuing my cruise, I proceeded (by motor) directly to Centreville with the wind behind Tattoo. Making better than 5 knots, we were almost surfing down some of the waves.

"Arrived at the Centreville ramp by about 10am. Recovered Tattoo on the trailer and was on the road in time for lunch. Home by about 4pm. Slept to supper time and endured the vice presidential food-fight safely at home.

"Lesson learned: check the VHF Marine Weather and don’t rely on regular weather reports."

Previously posted on the CLC PocketShip Forum in October 2012.

post-4915-0-09483000-1483651041_thumb.jpeg At Saint Michaels for the evening.

post-4915-0-71150500-1483651145_thumb.jpeg Rain & no wind, Chester River.

post-4915-0-03488100-1483651188_thumb.jpeg End-of-day. Lowering the colors.

post-4915-0-66402400-1483651217_thumb.jpeg An alternate yawl rig. I liked it better than the sloop [rig].

post-4915-0-28845600-1483651271_thumb.jpeg Her maiden voyage (South River) in October 2010.

I sold "Tattoo" in February last year (2016). Presently I'm building a Core Sound 20, Mk 3 and hope to launch her in February. Started construction in May 2015.

• Like 1