cs boom tent options

Reacher

My CS20 hit the water for trials last summer. Now I'm thinking about cruising. Alternative 1 is a low sleeping compartment boom tent between the masts, with a higher sun/rain shade over the back of the cockpit.

Alternative 2 is to use the mizzen mast as a ridge pole for the entire cockpit to create a luxurious space.

I'm interested in any comments regarding the practicality of mizzen mast as ridgepole idea. I haven't tried to unstep the mizzen while on the water.

A boom tent can be any height you want with a sprit-boom rig (assuming you have halyards). If the booms are too short, alternative 3 might be to use oars as a ridgepole between the masts.

Unstepping the mizzen mast when there are any waves about will likely be an uncomfortable experience.  I moved the mizzen on my CS17 to the reefing step while on the water a number of times (which was not the designer's intent) and it was always a bit iffy.

Think carefully about how long it will take to set up any given tent design.  The harder it is to do, the more likely you'll end up sleeping in a bivy bag instead ;)

Thanks, Beacher, for starting this discussion thread.  I'm asking the same questions, so maybe we'll both get some good advice.  That's usually the case on this forum.  My sails are bent on using a luff sleeve-- I do not have a halyard.  But the snotter is currently used to secure the sails through the clews.  This would be my attachment point.  Today, I found a great website for supplies and materials:  www.questoutfitters.com

Do many people use tents or bivy sacks?  I'm interested in these as well.  I'd love to hear about some experiences with them.

Thanks, Beacher, for starting this discussion thread.  I'm asking the same questions, so maybe we'll both get some good advice.  That's usually the case on this forum.  My sails are bent on using a luff sleeve-- I do not have a halyard.  But the snotter is currently used to secure the sails through the clews.  This would be my attachment point.  Today, I found a great website for supplies and materials:  www.questoutfitters.com

Do many people use tents or bivy sacks?  I'm interested in these as well.  I'd love to hear about some experiences with them.

Check out the BackPackingLight forums.  There are a lot of good ideas on bivy shelters, sacks, blankets, and rigging.  A lot of guys make their own gear.  Rockywoods Fabrics is another great place to buy materials. 

I'm also looking forward to making a boom tent.   On the "unmarked" Core Sounds, it looks like most of the living space is under the mizzen sprit and the aft half of the main.  Have you considered using the mizzen sprit as a ridge pole for the aft half of your tent and then supporting the fore part with a line running from the mizzen snotter to the base of the main mast?  The aft end of the sprit/ridge pole could be supported either by the haliard or by a boom crutch.

post-4524-0-07382600-1483581078_thumb.png

I think the best advice I have picked up is to make a trial tent out of polytarp and see what works before investing in expensive "real" material.

• Like 2

Mizzen mast as a ridge pole is an interesting idea that I hadn't considered.  My first thought is that it would be too much for set-up and tear down having to deal with the mast, sail, sprit, downhaul, snotter, etc.

My current setup (CS17)  is like a boom tent but just using a line instead of a rigid peak.  The line hooks low on the main mast and rises to the snotter eye on the mizzen mast.  PVC conduit stiffens the trailing edge against the mizzen mast. (Picture attached (I think)).

I've spent a couple of rainy nights with this setup and it works better than I expected.  Setup is probably less than half of the time it takes me to setup my land tend.  I do carry a simple bivy sack in case I need more rain/wind protection.

I am debating on whether to improve on this design or proceed with the dodger/soft cabin idea that I have been mulling over for a while.  It would be good to have something to extend aft of the mizzen mast because my head tends to lie on the center thwart.

post-3398-0-54840500-1483640819_thumb.png

• Like 2

mattp:  Thanks for the photo and sharing your experience.  I wondered how effective the open-sided design would be in the rain.  If you have more photos of this tent, I'd love to see them either here or by e-mail (donsilsbe@gmail.com)

meester:  Consider this:  Instead of having to carry a boom crutch, swing your tiller vertical, and lash the mizzen snotter to it.  I haven't done this yet, but this is what I intend to try, if I extend my tent that far aft.  For sure, my first prototype will be out of a cheap, blue poly tarp.

Here is a picture from the development phase.  The two front corners hook to horn cleats on either side and the aft corners clip to the mainsheet and can be adjusted for more or less protection or air flow.  You can also raise or lower the front attachment point. 

One benefit of this design to the folding dodger type cabin is that I can access the forward hatch under cover.

post-3398-0-22157300-1483711035_thumb.jpg

Well, Mattp, guess it's time to start building again! There are lots of differences beyond the raised cabin between the Mk-1 and Mk-3. I've often thought that a removable wooden cabin on the Mk-1 would be interesting. It might be worth considering if you daysail mostly, but do like the occasional over-nighter. it would be tricky to work it around the masts.

I have been doing a great deal of thinking and searching on this topic lately and here is where I am at this time. I built a spray dodger last spring and want to incorporate a camper into it. In fair weather the dodger could be folded forward and out of the way for maximum ventilation. I am thinking 2 fiberglass tent poles utilizing the two sets of oar lock sockets. 

post-35-0-02052700-1483777510_thumb.jpg

The following picture is from the Swallow Boats website. I like the overall concept. What I don't like is attachment system as used in the picture. I think a skirt that laps the coaming and lays on the deck would be better with the tie downs to the interior. Instead of the line at the exterior of the coaming perimeter I think something interior under the coaming edge would be better, it could be a line or snaps.

Entry would be from the aft deck.

post-35-0-82918400-1483777122_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-78206300-1483777187_thumb.jpg

Just my current thoughts subject to change without notice. :)

post-35-0-94340300-1483776805_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-41752300-1483777576_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos!  This really has me thinking about my setup.  My deck is simpler, and I have no side decks or coamings.  I do like the pvc trailing edge, as well as the low forward attachment, mattp.  This sort of design would be great for my first one.  If I really get into the cruising thing, I might take the plunge, and build a dodger.  But for now, I'm mainly going to be daysailing and fishing, so even that coveted mark 3 cabin top would get in the way of my normal routine.

Good luck on your project. One note on the dodger; these boats can be pretty wet to windward and the dodger was installed more to keep some of the spray out of the seating area especially for anyone sitting forward of the mast thwart. Mine has one pin in it to release it and let it drop out of the way.

Jim

1/2"emt conduit hoop and center post. All tube to deck fittings are plastic bimini anchor/hinges. Front post to the hoop connection is a plastic bimini fitting. All joints have clevis pins for removal and the front post to the deck has a quick release pin so that it can be pulled and the entire dodger can fold forward out of the way.

post-35-0-27962700-1484162351_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the discussion. The pictures really help. I'm just doing some winter dreaming right now. I think my first tent will be based on Mattp's tarp plus some mosquito netting. For 12 years I sailed a Tartan 34 on the Great Lakes. Good boat and nice cabin, but I always slept in the cockpit at anchor anyway.

Ten years ago I had the Tartan at Rock Island State Park on Lake Michigan. There was an open ketch about 20' long tied up at the small breakwater. At dusk the couple that owned it returned from a day ashore and set sail into the sunset moving smoothly and easily in the light evening breeze. A few days later I saw them boat camping, nudged up to a beach. It was a fiberglass boat, probaby a Sea Pearl. I loved the size and the open cockpit.