OK256 in Vanuatu

capriosca

We started building the 256 in Vanuatu from a kit in the second week of October.  The kits took a long time to get here as they came via Australia (kits because our friend Tim is also building one) but we had a two local guys keen to help and progress was good. The flip over photos were taken on December 2nd so what shows is two months work. We increased the team by two more local helpers when it came to fairing and sanding. The flip presented some challenges as we are working under a lean to attached to a 20ft container which doubles as workshop and tool storage. It was way too low so we attached heavy castors to the frame and rolled it out. This is my first attempt at posting photos so the sequence is a bit out but it was done over two days. Rolled out and stripped internally the the roll cage was assembled and over she went with not great problem. I cant seem to get more than three shots to upload so will post this and try adding the rest.

post-3327-0-12729400-1482550481_thumb.jpg

post-3327-0-80697600-1483067540_thumb.jpg

post-3327-0-83889200-1483067566_thumb.jpg

post-3327-0-35601600-1483067584_thumb.jpg

Thanks Chris and Steve. I have been a daily visitor to your posts. My crew have never seen a boat being built and to be able to show them pictures of what we are about to attempt has been more than helpful. We start work again in a couple of weeks time and will have until the end of January to get as far as we can before I return to our business for our busy season. The aim is to complete the bracket and all exterior timber trim and finish glassing the interior before I have to pull the pin for a few months. In the meantime I will keep trying to post more photos. 

Yeah well I guess so but I am actually a Kiwi and Tim is the Aussie (Ozzie) so maybe we can clarify things that way. I have had the luxury of working full time with between 2 to 4 helpers. Tim has limited time and has worked with one helper to date. He has his planked and glassed and is at the fairing stage. Not sure if he is going to post anything on the forum or not at this stage.

I tried to get clever with my photo uploading, found my way to my profile page and succeeded in deleted two of the only three photos that have posted so far. Going backwards on that score. I need to get them in to some software that can reduce the file sizes. Should not be too far away with that.

Just to clarify we are working on the small Pacific Island of Efate in Vanuatu. We are about 25km from the main town of Port Vila on beautiful Havannah Harbour. Do a Google search and check out the location.

Yeah well I guess so but I am actually a Kiwi and Tim is the Aussie (Ozzie) so maybe we can clarify things that way. I have had the luxury of working full time with between 2 to 4 helpers. Tim has limited time and has worked with one helper to date. He has his planked and glassed and is at the fairing stage. Not sure if he is going to post anything on the forum or not at this stage.

I tried to get clever with my photo uploading, found my way to my profile page and succeeded in deleted two of the only three photos that have posted so far. Going backwards on that score. I need to get them in to some software that can reduce the file sizes. Should not be too far away with that.

Just to clarify we are working on the small Pacific Island of Efate in Vanuatu. We are about 25km from the main town of Port Vila on beautiful Havannah Harbour. Do a Google search and check out the location.

I've looked at your little island via google, looks like a great place.  I will get to the area at some point, when I drag the wife on a couple year global cruise at some point.  Really want to spend time in the pacific islands diving and looking around.

You shouldn't need to reduce the size of the photos.  I load 3mb photos and the forum software creates small versions (thumbnails) for the page and shows the full resolution in the lightbox.

John,

You're right-- the interior is slow-going.  But this is where all the good stuff happens, all the little custom bits that make the boat your own.  On my little boat, I installed an internally-stowed boarding ladder and hidden rod holders.  It certainly added days to the build to do this, but I've succeeded in converting fairly useless space into a nice feature.

post-3770-0-23296400-1483527970_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-12738400-1483527985_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-16514000-1483528013_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-21989800-1483528065_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Thanks Steve,

We have been watching your meticulous work on the hull interior.

Your comments on your own post make some sense too. Glassing the kit prior to assembly makes sense now. It's hard dirty work down in there but you can't ignore it. More wiring and systems installation tomorrow. Cheers. 

The "bumpers" are all timber. All the materials for this build apart from the B&B kit were sourced in Australia. The stainless was supplied by The 316 Shop in Mona Vale NSW. The ends were cut using the B&B suggested system of bending over a 40 degree form then turning over and cutting the bent bit off flush with the inside edges. This creates the rounded end as well as closing up the hollow back. It worked well and was not something I would have thought of trying without the helpful info from B&B.

• Like 1

Today we coaxed the boat on to it's trailer for the first time. We needed to get it on there so that we can install the console. The console does not fit between the rafters of our lean- to building area and the lowest section of the rear deck so outside she goes. We have finished most of the wiring throughout the hull and also i the console - now we just need to hook the two up together. We have a seat to build in the aft cockpit area and a T Top roof to finish but otherwise nearly done. Engine should be bolted on next week and the installer is expected in July to run it up. Are we a chance to be the first to get a 256 wet?

IMG_6067.JPG

IMG_6072.JPG

IMG_6073.JPG