Panda FREE Antivirus for Personal Use (affiliate link)
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roam

Spindrift 11N Build Log

47 posts in this topic

Progress is only linear if you're single, are financially independent, without children or hopes of a date any time soon and have skills, to mate with every tool you'll need, throughout the complete project. Just saying . . .

1 person likes this

Thanks Walt, Now that the weather is warming up I've been trying to get an hour or so in after work so that's definitely speeding up the process.

Where did you get the fiberglass for the outside of your boat? I'm planning on doing the entire hull and not just the chines also.

Roam,

I bought 10 oz glass from BandB.  I concluded there wouldn't be much of a difference in shipping price if I bought it from BandB versus Fiberglass Supply or some other place.  Get yourself some epoxy spreaders and a Wooster roller tray.  Also, get yourself the Wooster T1Z rollers with the 1/8" nap, which can be cut in half on a band saw.  You want to mix a lot of epoxy (probably 8 pumps each of resin and epoxy) for each section you glass.  You can pour this large volume of epoxy into the roller pan so that it doesn't kick off on you while you roll it on.  The next day, you can break the dried resin off the pan.  I found that I was mixing batches that were far too small when I glassed and spending a lot of time mixing.  How much epoxy do you have?  I started the project with 2 gallons of resin and one of hardener and found I needed at least one more gallon of resin.

The second coat (fill coat) is better-applied with a spreader.  Mix some cabosil with the fill coat so it doesn't run down the vertical sides of the hull.  

Watch Alan's Coresound 15 videos on glassing.  I think they are videos 18 and 19. Using his technique, my glass job went fine with only one dry spot on the side of the hull that wasn't illuminated as well.

Start early!  I spent 6 hours glassing. 

Thanks,  I'll contact B&B about the fiberglass and order the other tools you mentioned.. My kit came with three gallons of resin and 1.5 gallons of hardener.

Since I'm building the nesting version I'll be able to do the job in two parts which will probably take longer over all but each day should be shorter.

When trying to figure out how much goo to use when wetting out fabric, calculate how much fabric you have in square yards and the weight of this material, is about what you'll need to wet it out. For example if you're about to apply 3 yards of 4 ounce fabric, you'll need 12 ounces of goo.

Roam, 

Make sure to put the second (fill) coat on within the cure window of the first coat of epoxy.