outboard for CS 15

warmbrezz

My daughter bought a core sound 15. She lives in Bellingham WA. We talked about putting a 2.5 honda on her or one of the 3.5 outboard on her but she was offered a 6 hp 2 stroke suzuki @ 61 pounds for free. Would this be too heavy for sailing? If she were to use the boat for fishing without spars or sails how would the boat perform with the 6. Will the boat plane? if so with what hp?

It's worth trying but I am going to guess that it will sink the transom a bit more than might be good for performance. If it were me, I'd sell the 6 and get either of the smaller motors. I have a 2.5 Honda that I have had for years and a 3.5 Tohatsu. I like the Tohatsu on my 17, more for the neutral/forward gear box than anything else.

I am amazed that you have not heard that you don't need a motor yet.... :-)

I would not want a 61# 6hp on a CS15 transom for sailing but it would not be a problem under power.  The weight is not excessive for powering as I have used as much as 9.9hp on a BRS15 although the hull shape of the CS will not allow the best use of the power.  The smaller motors will be better for sailing with.  One of the early CS15's had a small (not sure of the power) motor stored in the lazarett. 

Of course, the CS is a sailboat and there is seldom if ever any need for a motor.  Oars or paddles will be adequate for most short term needs.  A motor has more disadvantages that the weight.  Fuel smell and storage, noise, handling and starting a balky beast come to mind as well as the ever present need for maintenance.

A motor would be rather handy for reaching the San Juan Islands from Bellingham Washington, which I'm guessing might be her agenda.  Our summer conditions of dead calm frequently occur simultaneously with 6 knot tidal currents and 21 knot cargo ships.  You can plan around the currents but getting where you want to go gets complicated.   CS15 is a great choice for Bellingham.   

For those that sail on lakes you can probably get away with a pair of oars, but for the rest of us who sail in the salt water with strong tidal currents oars are pretty useless. I have found that I can't make any progress into the current and can only hope to make shore going across the current while being pushed sideways. I will definitely have my motor mounted on the back at all times and not stowed away in some locker.

When I got  my first 15 1/2 foot sailboat in 1966, one of he first thoughts was to mount a small motor to get about when the wind did not blow.  One way or the other it has never happened that a motor has been on when sailing, although there have been some longish paddles.   Found out that a whisker pole is more effective as a paddle than you might imagine. 

The BRS was excellent as a motorboat or sailboat and was used both ways.  Everyone's situation is different and its clear that some will find great utility in having a small motor kicking along back there.  A BRS is designed so that a separate mount is not needed but the others will need some kind of provision for mounting.  On some, a notch to one side with a bit of reinforcement will suffice while others will need a more involved installation.

On the one hand, I enjoy rowing, and my BRS15 is easy to row.  Oars are all I need for my daysailing trips.

On the other hand, a sailing mentor friend of mine had a rule when cruising.  If he couldn't make 5 knots under sail, the Iron Genoa was put into service.  I think that's good advice.  I believe that a 2.5 is all you need for a CS15, unless you're buying a Tohatsu/Mercury.  Going up in horsepower requires a significant increase in weight-- that's the overriding factor in a 15.  A larger motor is OK if you're not sailing.  But as an auxiliary, a 2.5 is all that's needed.  The Tohatsu exception is because the 2.5 and 3.5 engines are the same, except for carburetion-- there's no increase in weight to get the 3.5, only in price.

Keep in mind that Jay Knight uses a 2.5 Suzuki for his CS 20 mk 3.  

That said, I want you to know that I'm trying to resurrect an old two-stroke Johnson 6 hp.  I only plan to use this on my boat in fishing mode, not sailing.

• Like 1