Introducing MalwareBytes 3.0 (affiliate link)
Chick Ludwig

Motor Canoe project

153 posts in this topic

Hey, Paul, she already has new counter tops and tile back splashes in the kitchen.You'd think that would be enough to earn two or three more boats! Actually, Miss Debbie is pretty good about my hobbies. If boat building was the only one, it wouldn't be so bad, but, along with boats is turtles, catching and housing, and r/c model planes, building and flying. (Did I get enough commas in that last sentence?)

We are on a pretty tight budget here. One of the problems with getting older and no longer bringing in that working income. Another problem is where to store all of these boats under cover. No flat land for more carports, and no money for another carport either.

Back to the real issue this week. Loading the canoe. I was shocked yesterday to discover that I had to struggle to lift MY end yesterday. Not long ago, I'd load a canoe like this by myself. Just lift er up, and shove er on. Age does have a detrimental affect on the old muscles! And each year adds another year's worth of detriment to that. I'm moving on to Plan-C now. Not only sliding the canoe on from the back, but carrying it right side up. I don't wanna have to roll it over on the rocks that cover all of the beach areas that we'll be going to. I'll have to add a drain to let the rain water out while carrying it this way---easy enough. I have a rack that I made to try to carry a previous, much heavier boat. It kinda hooks onto the luggage rack on the Explorer. I think I can modify it nicely.

Also gotta rig a couple of block and tackles in the car port to lift the canoe overhead. It'll have to be tight against the roof to leave room to pull Summer Breeze out under it. I already have to pull Turtler out of the way to get the Breeze out. Almost too much work to go sailing. (I'm getting lazier in my dotage, too.) I'm finding that I've used Turtler much more than the Breeze, and even the plastic kayaks. It's so easy to load and unload, and so much more suitable for the way I seem to want to boat these days. Little day trips to different lakes. Sometimes alone, sometimes with Miss Debbie or my turtlin' buddy. Sailing and cruising on the mountain lakes just doesn't compare to sailing on REAL water. You know, the kind with salt in it. The kind with sand beaches, sand dunes, tides, porpoises, sea turtles, limitless horizons, quaint old fishing villages and revolutionary era towns, etc., etc. Oh yeah, and sea breeze. Lotsa days with no or very little breeze up here. Summer Breeze was, after all, named after the summer breeze---sea breeze, that is. (The Don says...sharks, sting rays, stinging jelly fish, hurricanes...)

Well y'all it's time to walk the dog and get ready for church. Time to be reminded of what's really important, and give thanks to Him. See ya next time. I wonder what I can ramble on about then? It's been fun talkin' with ya. Heck, I gotta build another boat just so I'll have a place to editorialize on.

Chick, 

Do you do foam planes? My buddy's all into them. :)

Peace,

Robert 

Tiger, yes, some from scratch or plans, some from kits. But i actually prefer doing them the old school way---balsa. The model hobby has been on hold for awhile during the boat building frenzy. Now I gotta do a "make Miss Debbie happy house and yard improvement" frenzy.

Mmmmm....planes. I need a hobby besides golf and I love to build. Boats and epoxy are out of the question with my lungs.

any quick advice ......source for kits, plans, forums? Is there a Flyin-about forum? 😫

Thanks

Thanks guys but never mind......just googled RC planes for an hour......not my thing.

Lennie, glad you asked. Check this out.

https://www.flitetest.com/

Their simple foam kits are economical, easy to build, and fly well (Go for a trainer type first). Here's one I like. https://store.flitetest.com/ft-old-fogey-speed-build-kit/

Maybe even better to get started in the hobby. https://store.flitetest.com/ft-explorer-get-started-package/

Start to learn more on this page. (Scroll down to the Beginner series.) https://www.flitetest.com/articles#/textSearch=Series: beginner series

You may want to learn to fly with a ready to fly trainer. Read about them here. https://www.flitetest.com/get-started/airplanes

Speaking of cartopping, this handy bar allows Miss Deb to make sammiches instead of helping you lug your canoe onto the Exploder.

If you look at the other Youtube links in Thrillsbe's post, you will find 2 that use a roller on the rear of the roof

This uses a PVC roller- it is in German, but a Ludwig should spreken, nein?

This uses a kayak cart

Thanks guys. I really like the pvc gizmo. Cheap! Good think that pictures are better'n a thousand words. German, nein. Now Don, on the other hand, DOES "Deutsch sprechen".

If you load it right side up, and drive to your campsite in the rain, the canoe will gain weight on your journey. Guess you're gonna have to drill a hole in the bottom to let the rain water out.

Don, yep, that's the plan. Miss Debbie will plug the hole with her toe while we're out on the water.

1 person likes this

Chick,

Sorry for the hijack, but here's a goofy little car top boat I built this week. Well, okay. It took 8 days. That thwart is moveable and removable. No stretchers yet, they will be installed to suit.

Now, its rough as mud, and painted with porch and floor, except the rails. They have polyurethane! Eek!

Anywho. Just wanted you all to know it ain't ALL guesswork on my part.

Oh, you might can see the holes in the rails for the thole pins. She uses the same oars as the Frolic. Which is living up to the "twice as long" adage nicely, thank you. :)

Peace,

Robert 

Oh. I just can't paddle anymore, but I HAVE to get on the water, so I built a rowboat. What? ;):)

IMG_2071.JPG

Robert---COOL little quickie boat! Mr. Zuki says , "forget paddling or rowing!" Ya gotta hang a stinkpot on her...or him.