Motor Canoe project

Chick Ludwig

On 5/26/2017 at 3:57 PM, Action Tiger said:

This paint is ten years old. The scratches are from granite rocks. They are fresh, and due to be touched up...

Peace,

Robert

IMG_2028.JPG

Robert,

How do you touch-up scratches?  I finished painting my boat and the toddler has already tried to sand it twice.  The first set of scratches were within 24 hours so I tried putting on touch-up paint without sanding.  The second set are after the paint has cured for a week.  It seems like I can rough-up the spot and hit it with a small hobby paint brush but it definitely stands out from the rest of the paint job. 

My canoe looks exactly like this after one season of use.  Kirby is nice, and I love the color selection.  But after I use up this quart, I'm done with it.  For about the same price, I could have gotten a polyurethane.  Say what you will, but Brightsides wears like iron.

@Walt S.-- the only thing I know to do is sand to a smooth surface, and give the whole thing a fresh coat. You can dab paint in the individual gouges, if there aren't too many, and try to feather it out. But it'll look like it.  Depends on how fussy you want to be about finish.  After a time, I have finally come to the realization that it's a boat, not a show car.  It's part of the transition I've made this year  from being a boat builder to a boat owner.  In other words, "step away from the paint can, and go for another boat ride!"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thrillsbe said:

. . . Depends on how fussy you want to be about finish . . .

This is the key. To do it right, you fill the scratches if shallow enough with a few coats of blocking primer, sand fair, then repaint the area. You can very tediously go around with an artist's brush and fill the scratches, then knock these down with a buffer, hoping it'll match, but it's all about;

. . . Depends on how fussy you want to be about finish . . .

• Like 1

How do I what, now? :) Hehe.

Like PAR said. The spots can be touched up, depending on the severity in the ways he mentioned.

Generally, I just hit the fresh scratches with a little paper and some more paint. It always shows, but, oh well. I try to put a fresh once over coat on at the end of every "season" for a few seasons,, then strip it back to glass (or primer) and start again.

Peace,

Robert

• Like 1

If you're "blending" you care way too much and should be considering a wholesale redo of the area. If you're like most and find a way to live with life's little imperfections, than a few minutes with an artist's brush will do. The way I figure it is, if I can live with my other half as a twenty footer, then this is the most I can ask of my boat's finishes.

I think I'm just going to use an artist's brush and then wet-sand to 1500 grit. 

BTW, on Offcenterharbor.com, I saw a video where the guy said he put two coats of Brightsides on within 24 hours without sanding.  I tested this idea with the first spot my toddler scratched.  After I put the boat in the water HOPEFULLY THIS WEEKEND, I'll know whether the paint stuck to the previous layer. 

• 11 months later...

Well, looks like we're going to Plan-D for a boat to cartop when we're pulling the camper. I'm thinking of a planing bottom dinghy to use with a 6~8hp motor so we can get to the interesting parts of the lakes we'll be camping on. But with an add-on sail rig.

Anyhow, I'll probably be sailing the motor canoe. Are any of y'all interested in buying it? i can bring it to the messabout.