Motor Canoe project

Chick Ludwig

12 hours ago, PAR said:

Avoid shellac based, as it's not really good outside and particularly in a marine environment and not at all, around any of the usual solvents (like gasoline).

This was my concern with the Bullseye product.  The shellac-based product would require alcohol clean-up, so I think you're OK, Chick.  I do hope that you find some coating that is durable, and flows well.  It would be nice to spend less than the usual $40-50/ quart for paint.  I just don't have the balls to put all that work i to a boat, and slap "whatever" on the final coat.  Here's hoping your selection work well!

14 hours ago, Action Tiger said:

Chick,

We have pretty stringent environmental regulations out here, so we may have a wider range of water clean up type paints than other places, but the stuff I got is a valspar porch and floor "enamel" that is "polyurethane fortified" and water clean up.

It seems to be harder than the typical water clean up paints I'm used to.

Either way, for small boats like this, I prefer the ease of repair to ultimate durability.

Your canoe looks AWESOME!

Peace,

Robert 

IMG_2045.JPG

I'm thinking of using this on the interior of my CS 20.3. I'd love to be able to paint the interior before I remove it from the basement and any solvent based stuff is not going to happen indoors.

Here's that paint.

It's set up for a while and seems plenty hard. It isn't as shiny, because it's dusty now. :)

Still.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just hoping to share my experience, even if I am dumb enough to just slap whatever on my boats.

Peace,

Robert 

IMG_1935.JPG

I think the key is Robert has built "A few canoes, several kayaks (1.9 Kudzu boats), several sailboats, several pirogues, several sampans" so now his work is fast, cheap and good (pick any 3).

While I am happy I built a Cadillac B and B and am finishing it with $50/qt paint, there is obviously a lot to be learned by building some smaller, faster, cheaper stuff and exploring the tradespace of variables such as paint type/cost/durability, lumber, etc.

Or we can just read what Robert and PAR do and do that.

Well.

I said my piece, and gave advice and information because I was asked.

I never recommended anybody do anything I do. And I certainly don't criticize other people for their choices, nor insult their work. I come here only to cheer on others, learn, and add info to the pot.

I am done dispensing advice.

I have had to defend my self and my methods here and on my own thread in the main forum. I'll just stick to my own boats my own way, and leave you all to yours.

Peace,

Robert 

Robert,

PAR is simply saying that as a professional builder, he can't afford the risk of a paint job redo.  I like the forum format, because we can discover several alternatives, amd make iur own choice.  Sometimes we get a little huffy, when we express ourselves, and feathers get ruffled.  You've made enough boats to know what works.  I'm scared to take the risk.  Actually, I used Kirby on my latest, and was disappointed with it's tender skin.  So, I'm real anxious to see how Chick's boat holds up.  (He lives nearby.)

Is your orange boat going to make it to the October messabout?  Hope so!

HEY TIGER----I asked and really want your opinion! Please keep giving it! I like to hear about "doing-it-my-way" stories. I also value advice from the experts like Par, even if I'm too much of a curmudgeon (Now, where did THAT come from?) to follow it.  

here's my excuse, and I'm stickin' to it. I hafta squeeze the pennies to extend my non-budget as far as I can. Also, because of health reasons,  have to stay away from dangerous materials like spraying two part poly. And I'm limited with my work space and equipment. My problems with paint come more from my life-long ADD (outgrew the HD part long years ago) and impatience than the materials I use. I try to use more expensive and durable paint on bigger boats like Summer Breeze where I did use two part paints. But, even there, I use industrial grade rather than marine, and no polyurethane except water based. Trouble came on the Breeze because the water based paint is very thick and I don't have a compressor big enough to handle the spray gun that will spray it---runs out of air. I tried anyway. Yes, I know---rolland tip. Little boats that get dragged through swamps and over rocks are gonna get scratched up no matter what paint is used---even Don's super paints.

Guys like Tiger and me (or is it "Tiger and I?) are gonna do like Sinatra sang, "I did it my way". So let's END this and move on! Let's listen to that song as we move on to the next friendly debate. 

FINALLY! Here are the completed pictures. Well, almost. Gotta add leather pads where Mr. Zuki will clamp himself on. As far as I can tell with my bathroom scales, we came out at 68#, Miss Debbie will be happy with that. I'll return with some impressions of performance after our camping trip---if I can wait that long to try it out...

DSCN2806.thumb.JPG.36c91aa781d286d0be7126ef06c78320.JPGDSCN2807.thumb.JPG.c0e7f6b8da0a200b537151de5b83996a.JPGDSCN2805.thumb.JPG.8a94ad53a57ffdd6023b5f0976f9f2fb.JPGDSCN2804.thumb.JPG.6d839dc68dc40c389aee365c369c59db.JPG

Don,

The top part is orange. :)

Seriously, I always pour over the picture rather than the writing. 

042397571015.jpg

Here is a stock photo from the web. Paint stores, hardware stores, and big box joints too, I think.

I got mine at the hardware store because they know me, and they know the products. Big box scare me. No likey. :)

Still. For jobs I often buy mistinted paints, and big box sometimes have good deals. Houses are different, though. I'll paint anything on the side of a house.

I am a LITTLE  choosy about boat paint. :)

Peace,

Robert 

P.S. Just noticed the can says satin. I used gloss. :)

(Well, I done dood it again---typed this yesterday and forgot to hit "Submit Reply". Guess I'm too used to just hitting "Enter" on my keyboard.)

Wile E. caned seats are purchased.

Steve, I'll cut out the leather and glue it in place with contact cement. It's (the leather) pretty thick.

Thanks to both of you guys.

Thanks,Lennie.

We tried loading it on the top of our Ford explorer today. Miss Debbie can lift it over her head pretty well, but she's not tall enough to get it on top. We'll just go to plan-B and slide it onto the cartop rack from the back. I'm gonna wrap the rack's cross bars with large size pool noodles and ty-rap them in place.