PVC Pipe Clamps

Dan0

Boatbuilders can never have too many clamps, and some of us have resorted to making some of our own clamps out of PVC pipe.  Nothing new in that, but this tip from Woodworkers Journal looks like a good improvement on the basic circular clamp. (This, too, might be an old idea, but it was new to me.)

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/dirt-cheap-pipe-clamps-easy-fingers/

Dan in Tallahassee (who isn't building a boat right now, but hopes to build a CS 17 Mk3 or a CS 20 Mk3 in the future)

Thanks, Chick.  I've been lurking  on this website for quite some time. I hope to move to eastern North Carolina by this time next year and after things get settled, start building.  I was at the Messabout a year ago and enjoyed it very much -- great to meet so many builders as well as Graham, Carla, Allan, etc. Spent a little time on a CS Mk 3. Can't remember if it was yours or someone elses (and don't remember if it was a CS 17 or CS 20). Beautiful boat generously shared by whoever owned it.

Hmmm.....that is one of Graham's tricks that has been around a while. I think I've had a basket of 20 or 30 of them for about 10 years or so.

BTW, you can set the tension of them by how wide they are. One that is only 1 inch wide is weaker than one that is 2 or 3 inches. A really wide one makes for a very tight and strong clamp. You might need those bolts as clamp arms for those. 1.5 to 2 inches is a useful size.

Wrap a piece of duct tape over the faces so they don't stick to the epoxy.

• Like 1