Hurricane Matthew spares B&B

Alan Stewart

The recent hurricane Matthew spared the shop at B&B. We are all fine and there was no damage to report. We saw approximately 3-4 feet of water rise which was not enough to adversely affect the shop. We spent last week preparing for the **worst.  Fortunately this resulted is some great fall cleaning in preparation for this years Messabout. (**we had 4 feet of water in the lower shop and 1.5 feet in the upper shop during hurricane Irene). 

This week the shop is without power so far and the internet is down at Carla and Grahams place (but they do have power at least)

Please send any communications to us via cellphone or business email bandbkitboats@gmail.com until further notice. 

Thank you for your patience. 

-B&B

• Like 2

Alan,

I've never met or spoken to you, but I've "spoken" to Graham in a few emails, and I've read your guys' posts on this board, seen your projects and read your advice.

My conclusion is, you guys are awesome. Your post is classy. Indicative of the type of people you all are.

You are really sorry that a hurricane has made it more difficult to take care of customers... I find that charming, and rare these days.

I'm pleased you are all safe and sound, and clean!, and I hope the same for all the rest.

Peace,

Robert

• Like 1

Glad you were spared the worst.

Here in Chesapeake in (just south of Norfolk, VA) we had pretty bad flooding.  I went out at night with a pickaxe and dug two drainage trenches; without those the shop would have had water in it.  My neighbor, an elderly farmer, is on lower ground.  The wind blew water into his fields and almost flooded his house.  His garage had 6" of water in it; we saved what we could.  We drove a jacked up truck through the water to his house, put a generator in it, and energized his refrigerator and lights.  Later in the day he unfortunately fell out of the back of the truck into the water and was hurt.

Many trees down; many people still without power.

Alan & Graham,

I'm relieved to hear you're all OK! Watching the Weather Channel it sounded like rain floods were worse than the Hurricane. With you guys right on the sound I was worried that you might be between a rock (surge) and a hard place (high rivers). Thank God it worked out well for you.

Alex

Glad you were spared the worst.

Here in Chesapeake in (just south of Norfolk, VA) we had pretty bad flooding.  I went out at night with a pickaxe and dug two drainage trenches; without those the shop would have had water in it.  My neighbor, an elderly farmer, is on lower ground.  The wind blew water into his fields and almost flooded his house.  His garage had 6" of water in it; we saved what we could.  We drove a jacked up truck through the water to his house, put a generator in it, and energized his refrigerator and lights.  Later in the day he unfortunately fell out of the back of the truck into the water and was hurt.

Many trees down; many people still without power.

Peace to you and your good neighbors, brother.

Robert

Here in northern Germany and the Netherlands we had some worse floods in the past.
So i wish to all of you, living at the coastline , good luck and may your dykes stay strong and sturdy!!!
The Sealevels will rise the next decades and i think our dykes today are not high enough to stand the floods that may come in future caused by the climate change.
So it is a important to invest in buildings to protect the coastlines and to avoid global warming if possible...

All the best from northern Germany
Sönke

I hope it will become not as worse like this :
https://halligblog.wordpress.com/category/wetter/landunter/
http://bc03.rp-online.de/polopoly_fs/fischmarkt-hamburgstadtteil-altona-elbstrasse-hochwasssturmflut-ueberschwemmt-1.1904514.1315885153!httpImage/4102448792.jpg_gen/derivatives/dx510/4102448792.jpg
http://www.lauritzen-hamburg.de/fotos_emma/hochwasser_morsum1_gross.jpg

We are back up. The phone line along with our internet has been fixed.

The line crew have been doing an incredible job. They were working on the power line coming to the shop this afternoon. We should have electricity there in the morning.

I was surprised that NOAA was as far off as they were. They kept revising the path further north continuously. I found that the best source was Sailflow which was giving wind direction and speed for the whole region and could be zoomed in to our area. As I advanced the time forward it was giving a good view of the eye and how the the expected winds would behave. They were pretty close to reality. It was still a cat 1 when it passed by with the eye passing over Cape Lookout and then out to Hatteras before moving northeast rather east and then south as predicted by NOAA right up to the last moment. The Coast Guard station at Hobucken, 6 miles recorded a top gust of 75 mph.

As Alan said we got off very light. The wind direction was good for us and the water was not forced up like it was with Irene. The flooding that is currently on the news is further inland where the water is rushing down rivers from the large catchment area and cannot get through restricted areas quickly enough. They are reporting water rising as high as 27 feet above normal. 

The recent hurricane Matthew spared the shop at B&B. We are all fine and there was no damage to report. We saw approximately 3-4 feet of water rise which was not enough to adversely affect the shop. We spent last week preparing for the **worst.  Fortunately this resulted is some great fall cleaning in preparation for this years Messabout. (**we had 4 feet of water in the lower shop and 1.5 feet in the upper shop during hurricane Irene). 

This week the shop is without power so far and the internet is down at Carla and Grahams place (but they do have power at least)

Please send any communications to us via cellphone or business email bandbkitboats@gmail.com until further notice. 

Thank you for your patience. 

-B&B

Good news. I have been hoping all was well there.