Flying a CS 17

Docpal

This is what a CS 17 looks like hanging in the slings of a 20 ton travel lift. My yard does have a ramp so we slung her, hung her, and brung her to the trailer. In the process we saw something unusual: there was something hanging FROM the keel as we hauled her and upon closer inspection apparently the 'Slot Seal' I had Sikaflexed to the hull came loose rather recently judging by the lack of growth in the formerly covered areas.

I had installed it as a sort of after thought back in the Spring, and to add to the experiment I painted the strip,and the areas around it with a water based bottom paint  as a test.

The results were mixed: looking at the third picture you can see the Slot Seal still attached to the hull with a small epoxied patch.ON it , and the surrounding red/pink painted areas (water based bottom paint0 you can see some healthy  and presumably ORGANIC barnacles. While on the leading edge of the board there were NO barnacles at all,compared to last year's bumper crop (which was WHY I tried the slot seal). Not sure if the glop gave up because it was immersed under water for 4 months, whether the marina waters have solvents/petro  in them (fuel dock),or whether they loosened from sailing. I had let the Sika cure for 4 days before launching, maybe not enough?

post-539-0-82641800-1475705444_thumb.jpg

post-539-0-10483500-1475705462_thumb.jpg

post-539-0-57920000-1475705485_thumb.jpg