Curlew Query.

BadPig

I'm 6'2' and go between 220 and 240 with size 12 feet. I'm wondering if the Curlew is going to be able to fit me. In case its not....

I currently use a Tsunami 145 but am looking for something that fits a bit tighter and is more responsive.

It needs to be quicker/faster than a 65 lb. donkey barge.

It needs to be able to handle conditions on Lake Michigan.

Cargo space is not a real consideration.

I plan to use it in some local river races but they're nowhere near Olympic caliber.

I'm comfortable with edging to get it round when I have to avoid obstacles on the river.

I really like the looks of the Firefly and Short Shot but was hoping to save a bit of cash by building my first one from

the free plans in the Fuselage Frame boats book.

So basically I was wondering given the items above if Curlew is likely to fit my size/needs and if not will Poco Barta?

Or are one of your other boats likely to be a better fit?

Thanks in advance and I hope you can make sense of my rambling.

Your weight is not a problem. I am not sure about the size 12's though. Hopefully someone will chime in on that. 'I think' as long as you just wear something thin like swim shoes or neoprene booties you will fit. Might be slightly snug.

I currently use a Tsunami 145 but am looking for something that fits a bit tighter and is more responsive.

It needs to be quicker/faster than a 65 lb. donkey barge.

We got this covered! I don't keep up with commercial boats but I have paddled a Tsunami.

It needs to be able to handle conditions on Lake Michigan.

The most important thing in big water is the paddlers skills, more so than the boat. That is a hard question to answer because I don't live there nor have I experienced the conditions there. Curlews fine entry tend to slice through waves rather than bounce over them. That is a good trait up to a point. Makes for a nicer ride but if you get in really big waves I think it would be a draw back too.

Cargo space is not a real consideration.

I plan to use it in some local river races but they're nowhere near Olympic caliber.

I am not a racer and this is not a race boat. But I think it holds it's own against most commercial boats of similar lengths. If you are serious about racing Short Shot has the potential to get you across the line faster for the same amount of effort.

I'm comfortable with edging to get it round when I have to avoid obstacles on the river.

I really like the looks of the Firefly and Short Shot but was hoping to save a bit of cash by building my first one from

the free plans in the Fuselage Frame boats book.

Anything I say sounds like I am pushing a sale so I will skip this except to say the rounded multi chine boats do have a noticeable difference (for the experienced paddler). 

Depending on how serious you are about racing and how strong a paddler you are Short Shot might be a better choice. Of course it is a little heavier, a little more expensive to build and takes longer. Again, everything in a kayak is compromise. I love my Short Shot but I often take a highly modified Curlew because if it so light and easy to handle.

So basically I was wondering given the items above if Curlew is likely to fit my size/needs and if not will Poco Barta?

Poco Barta is longer and would have a little advantage in speed potential in a race. Everything in boat design is a give and take so it depends on how you will spend most of you time but I do think it is worth considering.

Thanks for the quick and informative reply Jeff. I have a friend who has a round hull boat and its noticeably easier to get and keep it moving. 

Anything I say sounds like I am pushing a sale

Well you don't have to push a sale for those two. The designs of the boats pretty well sold themselves. I just gotta get the $$$ and decide which one I want to do first.

One more question. when you buy a second boat license do you get two sets of frame prints or do you just have to cut one set of frames and use them as a template?