Ashcroft planking

Kennneee

well known Paul Gartside uses thickened epoxy in some of his double or triple planked designs.

I would first saturate the planks with unthickened epoxi and screw them a little bit later with thickened after the unthickened is in the still sticky state.

that will provide starvation of the gluejoints.

Some interesting pictures, is this the Ashcroft way of planking?:

http://www.gartsideboats.com/custom-boatbuilding/24-ft-cutter-design-ila-98.html

I would call that carvel planking, longitudinal planks edge butted with a rolling bevel.  I believe ashcroft specifically called for planking diagonal to the center line.  Having said that, I think the concept is correct, two layers with planks overlapping the previous layers' joint.

Ashcroft planking originally was done without epoxy, though often with shellac and/or felt between the layers, also sometimes not. Waterproof glues changed things after WWII and epoxies have since the late 60's. The angle the planking takes is usually dependant on the shapes on the hull. The way I select it is to place a piece of planking on the worst area, canting back and forth, until I find an angle that works. This becomes the diagonal used throughout the build. Thsi said, it's not uncommon to change the angle on some hulls, because of dramatic shape changes from fore to aft.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone mind sharing their rough guide regarding how much (quantity) of thickened epoxy is required to bond two layers of ply.

E.g. 50ml per square foot?

I'm getting ready to layup my transom and am trying to calculate a ballpark figure as to what quantity of epoxy I may require.

Thanks

It all depends on the species of the plywood, some suck up more than others. The hardwoods seem worse at this than the softwoods, but I've seen Douglas fir suck a surface dry of goo too. As a rule a quart (.94 liter) of epoxy will cover about 100 sq. ft. or 9 sq. meters on raw wood and on previously sealed surfaces 125 sq. ft. - 11.6 sq. meters, respectively, per coat.

Thank you PAR !

Thats a great starting point

It all depends on the species of the plywood, some suck up more than others. The hardwoods seem worse at this than the softwoods, but I've seen Douglas fir suck a surface dry of goo too. As a rule a quart (.94 liter) of epoxy will cover about 100 sq. ft. or 9 sq. meters on raw wood and on previously sealed surfaces 125 sq. ft. - 11.6 sq. meters, respectively, per coat.