Short shot question

Daydreaming

Okay, I have the bug.  Trying to decide between Shad and Short shot.  I weigh 190 wear a size 10 shoe.  My paddling is on inland lakes where strong winds are common.  My question is whether or not Short shot could be used for the occasional one or two night camping trip?  Backpacker style camping, not everything and a dutch oven type camping.  Hammock,tarp, sleeping bag, single burner stove type kit.

Thanks for any opinion or input.

Warren

This is actually a very easy question, go with Short Shot.  I rarely can answer these questions straight out but between the two this is easy. Shad, while a beautiful boat (in my eye) has no room for camping gear.... or very little room. It is has a very low deck and rather low volume.  Short Shot is higher volume so no problem with some camping gear.  Plus I like the way it paddles better.

Never used cypress but have always thought it would work just fine. My only concern would be how well it would bend and I really don't think that would be a problem except on one of the 12' boats where the bends are really right at the ends.  If it is going to a problem that is the boats it will show up on.

Having just built a Shot Shot, I can say that I was *very* impressed with the western red cedar...it is super light and very easy to rip, trim, etc. I was lucky enough to find some clear 10' boards at a local (Dallas) $pecialty $tore and a buddy helped me with the ripping and surfacing. (Longer boards = fewer scarfs) My finished frame, sans skin and coaming, weighed 19 lbs.!!