Malwarebytes Endpoint Security
Advanced endpoint protection (affiliate link).
Walt S.

Spindrift 12 build log

204 posts in this topic

I faired the cockpit tapes because I wanted the interior to look smooth.  It was a pain, but I like it now that it's painted.

thanks.  I think I'm going to stop being a wimp and fair the tapes.  Now I see why these projects drag on for years: you think you've made it to the top of the mountain only to see the next peak across the valley is higher. I'm being pretty melodramatic here.  I DON'T LIKE SANDING. 

If you're not sure if to sand or leave it, just take a rattle can of cheap lacquer based high gloss paint and lightly coat the areas in question. The high gloss will reveal the "real" look and you can decide if you can live with it. The paint is easily and quickly removed with some thinner and you're on your way to more sanding or calling it a done deal. To be honest, it's these seams and tape edges that define the novices from the pros and the very first thing that'll catch your eye, from nearly any distance. I find I focus on the areas that will be regularly seen and less so, on the inside of cabinets, lockers, etc. In a cockpit locker, that will be used a lot for fenders, gear, etc., I'll smooth up these seams, but under aft decks, "away" side of bulkheads, etc., where visibility is limited and occasional, maybe a just a quick smear of fairing compound, with an emphasis on being neat, to minimize sanding is all it'l get.

In the end you want to finish the boat to some degree and fairing just sucks and eats time. You can always go back and fix screwups or make changes and adjustments to the finishes, so get it close, splash the puppy and see how much you can "change your models" in terms of fairing and finishing.