Georgetown 2016

Chas231

We are planning on being there for both days of the show.  I'm repainting the hull. I just wasn't happy with it and trying to clean it up with buffing and waxing made things look worse.

September 17 my boat will be in the Reedville Fishermen's Museum Antique and Small boat show.  (it isn't small or antique)  and a week later at Wings, Wheels and Keels in Topping, VA

Egbert

• 1 month later...

There is a public boat ramp at East Bay Street and Morgan Park with a decent parking.  It is only a short ride from the show.  We used it last year.  

I'm planning to be there early afternoon on Friday, launch the boat and cruise a bit around the area before docking for the show.

Hope you didn't had any trouble from Matthew.  We had some rain from it this morning and lost power for a couple of hours.

Egbert

This means you are not going at all or are you trailering the boat.   

For us it looks like some roads are closed due to flooding left and right so we have to find a way to get there.  Google traffic proves to be helpful.  

Egbert

Look at coming down 95 to Wilson and then take the four lane 795 to Goldsboro. This will take you to 117 which goes down to Interstate 40 thru Mount Olive. Then you can go down to Wilmington and take Hwy. 17 to the bypass around Myrtle Beach to Georgetown. Right before you get to Wilmington proper, you will see a sign that says to 74 and Whiteville, IIRC and then take that exist to 17. There was a small section towards Conway that was closed in South Carolina, but I don't think you go that far until you get on the bypass. This route will take you on almost all four lanes except for a tiny section on 117. Its actually saves you some time from taking 95 to SC and across. I think this route is completely clear but will recheck today.

Thanks Oyster,

I have been checking different websites for road closures.  We are staying the night in Wilson and likely take the route you described.  We had to do the same thing last year because of flooded roads.

Seems that everytime we go to the boat show there is some major disaster.  First the fire, next the flooding and now the hurricane.

Egbert

Georgetown is behind us.  The show just lucked out with the flooding at high tide.  By the time the show started the water receded just enough to access the docks with dry feet.

All in all a pretty good show, beautiful weather and plenty of interest in our Bluejacket.

Egbert

30373118161_90eea8d4fa_c.jpg

Egbert,

With the uncertainties of flooded roads, it would have discouraged many an automobile traveler from the trek to Grorgetown. You not only attended but towed a 26' boat into this uncertain travel venue. You are indeed a dedicated and fearless captain. I'll follow you anywhere!

Best yet, the show attendees had an opportunity to see your Bluejacket and perhaps ignite or reinforce a passion to build one.

Bravo Zulu!

Thanks Dave and Tom.  

Tom certainly deserves the credit for a beautiful and functional design.  I got many comments on the amount of interior space for the size boat.  There were many surprised reactions when you mention the boat goes 23 MPH with a 75 HP motor and the shallow draft.  Often the question was asked when did you finish restoring the boat?

Egbert

• Like 1