Introducing MalwareBytes 3.0 (affiliate link)
Kennneee

Outer Banks 26 #1

Kennneee    9

Steve- The Festool stuff is really pricey but saves lots of time.  Dominos are WAY stronger than biscuits.  I have used them in lots of applications and never a failure.  Check out the chairs in the link below.  For years I did complicated and time consuming chair joinery and made these with dominos.  They seem bulletproof. The time saving on this set was worth thenprice of the machine.

https://goo.gl/photos/WgFq3WJjAQjQLLiPA

cheers,

Ken

DaveH    1

Ken,

After constructing a plywood cabinet with some decorative trim, I bask in my glory of being a self proclaimed accomplished woodworker.  After viewing your furniture project pictures, I return to the reality that there's the woodworker varsity and junior varsity.  You sir are a letterman on the varsity.  I'm a struggling freshman on the junior varsity.

What I most admire about woodworkers such as you and Tom Lathrop is that you understand the properties of wood and how to make the wood go where you want it to go and be happy staying  there.  To this, add in artistic creativity and you all inspire woodworkers like me to strive harder.  Thank you!

No doubt the interior of your boat will be magnificent in design and finish.  I wish you were way ahead of my build so I could have stolen your expected clever design and fabrication techniques. 

On the junior varsity we still use biscuit cutters.  I have yet to replace the broken springs on mine so I have to manually retract  the cutting blade.  A penny saved is a finger cut off.  

When the Dow Jones hits 25,000 I'll start shopping for a Festool domino cutter.  

Cheers! 

Kennneee    9

Dave- Thanks for the kudos.  Funny you should say all that since I periodically look at your Blujacket build and have moments of near panic looking at all of your thoughtful and amazing detailing.  I think we all have a lot to learn from each other and that is the beauty of this community.

I thought of calling you the other day to get some advice on a few of your details.  I am away from home for a few days trying to think about somthing other than my OB26.  BUSTED! What am I doing on this site??

Cheers,

Ken

DaveH    1

Ken and others,

For years I have been following this boat building thread depicting construction of a 27' wooden express. .  http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-boat-show-photos/268706-building-27-custom-express.html

The builder is a Coast Guard Chief Petty officer who is in the aviation community.   He may be retired now from the CG.  His tread has the geatest number of followers of any boatbuilding thread I'm familiar with.  His understanding of materials and obsessive need to build the "right way" are in my mind legendary.  

The technical wisdom and debates provided by his thread followers has been of immense benefit for heading me in the right direction for sources of supply and understanding the properties of materials in a marine environment especially saltwater.  

The thread is now up to  285 pages and the builder's boat has been launched.  

Like all internet sourced information, the boat builder's thread has its share of people getting nasty over stupid stuff but the highly opinionated builder does a good job of staying above most of the frays and keeping people on point.  

This is must reading for neophytes like me when I started my boat build seven years ago. Unfortunately, I didn't discover the tread until about three  years ago.  

Regards,

Dave 

Oyster    16
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, DaveH said:

•  
  •  

Ken and others,

For years I have been following this boat building thread depicting construction of a 27' wooden express. .  http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-boat-show-photos/268706-building-27-custom-express.html

The builder is a Coast Guard Chief Petty officer who is in the aviation community.   He may be retired now from the CG.  His tread has the geatest number of followers of any boatbuilding thread I'm familiar with.  His understanding of materials and obsessive need to build the "right way" are in my mind legendary.  

The technical wisdom and debates provided by his thread followers has been of immense benefit for heading me in the right direction for sources of supply and understanding the properties of materials in a marine environment especially saltwater.  

The thread is now up to  285 pages and the builder's boat has been launched.  

Like all internet sourced information, the boat builder's thread has its share of people getting nasty over stupid stuff but the highly opinionated builder does a good job of staying above most of the frays and keeping people on point.  

This is must reading for neophytes like me when I started my boat build seven years ago. Unfortunately, I didn't discover the tread until about three  years ago.  

Regards,

Dave 

You can rest assure that the original design was a botched attempt  at a boat. You can also rest assure that if that designer and designer had a tiny bit of street crude that you would be seeing his boats being promoted across the net by proud homebuilders. Yet that is not the case.  The one start up builder that got drawn into the hype never did finish the larger hull because of all of the design flaws.  The smaller flats boats are no where to be seen on the waters either, after all of the issues of submarining when put on the water.

The saving grace right now in the area of performance is that the boat was loaded and weighed way aft, especially with an oversized  set of engines hanging off an unsupported bracket.  The teak alone that he added in the cockpit area coupled with enough framing as its substrate, also drawn in the plans created a boat that weighs hundreds if not a thousand of lbs. more than what is needed. We talked him out of a hard top too.

I can go on and on. But fortunately he was active duty while building and away from the project enough that he did have more than enough time to digest his build with the help of a half dozen others after some of the latent defects in the concept designs came to light.  His own quest for quality helped create one heck of a head turner for sure.

1bigcarrot    0

I can't remember when I first read Mark's thread.  It has certainly helped me get an idea of what is involved with having the desire to build my own boat - the ups and downs.  A few things that stand out in my mind from that build thread is the value and skill of our Designer here and the upstanding professional builders that helped Mark out.

I find it interesting and helpful to read those builders insights and tips/tricks when they do post.

I think the fight club thread is well worth a read as well.

When I first read that Ken used dominos, all I could think about were these - hahaha

domino.jpg

Keep up the good work Ken