Outer Banks 26 #1

Kennneee

• 4 months later...

After a 3 month break to get some sun and let my hands heal I got back on the project in the middle of April.  It was hard to be away for so long!  When I left it was time to start fairing the hull and begin fiberglassing.  I have been getting a bit of help from a young women, (when did 32 become young?) who wants to learn about boatbuilding and woodworking.  Up until now this has been a solo project.  Great to have another set of hands mixing epoxy and spending some time behind the torture board. The enthusiasm of youth is wonderful!

The hull is quite fair at this point, all exterior fiberglass completed, and antifouling paint applied to the DWL.  I will raise the antifouling up a few inches after flipping and the bootstripe and finish LPU is applied.  Having the DWL readily marked will make leveling easy after the flip. Should flip "ROSIE" over in a week or two after spraying some high build and finish primer to the topsides.  Used Interlux 2000e barrier coat on the bottom and will apply Alexseal epoxies and LPU on the topsides. I am very excited to see her coming to life.  The lines are a thing of beauty.  Hat off to Graham on his artistry on this one!

Here is a link to a video of one hour of fiberglassing condensed into 17 seconds.  Would love to figure out how to do that in real life!

https://goo.gl/photos/VKMFMhzLk9Qz8edL6

Here is a link to a photo album with captions of the build so far if you want to see more detail.

https://goo.gl/photos/42vU3BKQDsnMxbPp9https://goo.gl/photos/42vU3BKQDsnMxbPp9

Cheers,

Ken

IMG_1537.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1584.JPG

IMG_1588.JPG

IMG_1521.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All- We flipped ROSIE on May 31st. Had a great group of friends and additonal help from the local lumber yard's truck.  All went well with a couple of exciting moments.  So glad to have many competent hands to help!  This was the first time I was able to step back far enough to see the full beauty of the design.  The interior is now a blank canvas and I have been busy fiberglassing.  

Here is a link to a time lapse video of the flip. 

https://goo.gl/photos/dKi8RKyEjw4PAjvW7

Cheers,

Ken

IMG_1599.JPG

IMG_1602.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_2600.JPG

IMG_2608.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

Don- This is a perfect example of mission creep.  The original plan was to build an OB 20.  Long story short it got enlarged to an OB24 and then I  asked Graham for a few modifications and the OB26 was born.  I should know better:).

Ken

• Like 1

Ken,

Thank you for posting the roll over pictures.  The hull of my Bluejacket 25.5 was constructed upright thus I enjoyed the benefit of quick gratification of having a structure that I could walk around in and visualize its intended use.  After my boat was rolled over for months for bottom coating and fairing, I lost some sense of the end goal.   I remember  how excited and motivated I was when the boat was rolled upright and again I could climb through the structure.

For the first time, and after much hard work, you now have a boat to climb through and can unleash your creative thoughts and dream of destinations distant. No doubt the excitement of a first glance at your upright boat was a magnitude greater than mine after I finished the bottom work.

After viewing your pictures, I remain perplexed over the young lady who is doing a head stand. Consequently, I ask:

a.  Did she do something wrong and is being punished?

b.  Is this a ritual giving thanks to the Canadian God of boat building?

c.  Is this your wife who is throwing a fit because your hobby is boat building instead of stamp collecting? 

Keep the boat pictures coming! 

Bravo Zulu.

Regards,

Dave 

Well, you are both on the right track.  It was indeed me punishing myself in front of the Canadian Gods of Boatbuilding before my wife had a chance to do it for me and for not taking up a saner way to spend time such as stamp collecting.  My dislexia had me set the head stand up in the wrong direction since I wanted to get a final glimpse of my work as I had been seeing it for the last few months :). In any case, that was one ugly Girly Man best viewed upside down. Carpal Tunnel much improved!! Amazing what a few months away from beating the daylights out of my body can do.

Dave, you hit the ring nail on the head about seeing the boat upright.  Was a real shot in the arm to see the hull upright and a welcome break from twisting and contoritng my neck to try and see if everything looked right!  The blank canvas ahead is both exciting and a bit daunting. I look at your beautiful Bluejacket build pictures occasionaly and it is inspiring but also a bit intimidating to see how much lies ahead.  Your boat is BEAUTIFUL!!? Will it get wet soon?

Cheers,

Inverted Ken

On 6/14/2017 at 2:03 PM, Kennneee said:

Don- This is a perfect example of mission creep.  The original plan was to build an OB 20.  Long story short it got enlarged to an OB24 and then I  asked Graham for a few modifications and the OB26 was born.  I should know better:).

Ken

Ken,

I've heard of "three foot fever" when jumping from one boat to the next.  But in your case, it all happened with the same boat.  That's a first!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys- Here are some pics of the latest progress.  The fiberglass work on the interior is almost complete.  Needed a break from the epoxy work so I cut and fit the trunk cabin parts and carlins. My shop doors are not tall enough for me to remove the boat when the pilot house is in place.  I will temporarily fit the pilot house and upper section of the aft bulkhead and remove it prior to moving Rosie out.  I will use DOMINOS and fiberglass to strengthen the horizontal joint between the trunk cabin and pilot house. I have used these floating tenons for years and they are amazingly strong and easy to use. See the pic of the coaming joint.

I laminated the trunk cabin front and used bead board as the inner face which I expect will look good in the finished cabin. The trunk cabin overhead will likley be made with the same bead board for the inside face.

Graham designed the cockpit coamings to be set at a 4.3 degree angle.  I was satisfid with 4.25 and hope the boat will still float. More pics here. https://goo.gl/photos/42vU3BKQDsnMxbPp9

Taking a week off to do some surfski racing and clear the epoxy out of my lungs.

Ken

IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1745.JPG

IMG_1759.JPG

IMG_1763.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG