Little People Kayak?

bwhip

Edit:  I redact my prior prognostication and prognosticate anew.  Re-reading my first copy of Jeff's book, there are already great low volume designs there in Poco Barta & Curlew.  Taking either one of those and reducing the distance between the cockpit frames to the 28"-ish range to accommodate a more fitting coaming ought to be darn near ideal in the cockpit area.  Curlew is 12" at the front of the coaming; Poco Barta is 11.5".  By the time you take an inch out of the bottom for the stringer/seat slats and 3/4" out of the top, you have a pretty snug area inside.  Poco Barta could lose a few inches length-wise to get it into the 15' range, but as skinny as it is, that shouldn't negatively impact the overall design much.

Out of raw curiosity, Jeff, what is different, at least conversationally in the base Ravenswood design that has you looking at it over some of your earlier and narrower designs.

Just for the fun of it, since Poco Barta already looks like a svelte low volume boat.  What would the numbers look like if you made the following tweaks to the Poco Barta lofts:

As published "X" locations:          New location:

5'6"                                              Delete

6'5"                                              5'9"

9'3"                                              8"

11'1"                                            9'10"

13'3"                                            11'8"

15'6"                                            13'6"

I'm still fumbling through all the technical stuff myself, and still can't figure out the stability factor despite no doubt having access to the critical data elements. Frames lofted and poster board patterns cut today. Gonna try and do this one up like I know what I'm doing, so it probably won't be on the water in 30 days. Im also stealing a few ideas from other folks that I thought was cool that will eat up some hours on the schedule. I'll start a new thread when there's enough progress to warrant it.

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, bwhip said:

I'm bumping this. This past weekend, my wife and I were paddling on South Puget Sound and she asked, "Can't you build a narrower boat for me?" She really has to concentrate to keep from hitting her knuckles while paddling.

What was she paddling and what was the beam?  I assume you have looked at the Ravenswood Low Volume and it didn't meet your needs?  At 21" it is narrower than most of Kudzu's other "full size" boats.

Width is just one factor in hitting your knuckles. One of the biggest factors is the height of the shear at the cockpit. I had to change on of my first designs because it was too high and I kept hitting the gunwales with the paddle instead of my knuckles so I know how annoying it is. Of course the person's size comes into play too as well as paddling style. So what works for one may not work for another but generally speaking shear height is the biggie. 

What boat does she paddle?

10 hours ago, uncleralph said:

What was she paddling and what was the beam?  I assume you have looked at the Ravenswood Low Volume and it didn't meet your needs?  At 21" it is narrower than most of Kudzu's other "full size" boats.

This is the first time I've heard of a low volume Ravenswood. When was it added to the design catalog?

Hard to remember what everyone builds and paddles but I am surprised at that. But that goes back to the Everyone is Different.

The Ravenswood LV is a recent addition,  in the last few months. I don't think the shear is any lower but it is narrower. Not sure if that will help her out or not without seeing her paddle.