Jump to content
Panda FREE Antivirus for Personal Use (affiliate link)


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Drew last won the day on October 15

Drew had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

16 Good

About Drew

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Canberra, Australia
  • Interests
    Coresound 20 Mk3 #5 "Dragonfly 2"

Recent Profile Visitors

2,323 profile views
  1. Sailing the CS17

    He who suggests it, does it! At the moment I am trying to compile and sort comments made about rigging and sailing the Coresound Ketches. I will submit for your appraisal once completed.
  2. Sailing the CS17

    I will give it a try Don. I was out on our local pond today in very little wind, which gave me a chance to play at balancing the sails to maintain steerage. After years of sailing sloops I am learning new things.
  3. Sailing the CS17

    Life doesn't always go to Plan A Ken. I lived in Perth for 7 years - know it well. Enjoy Cockburn Sound and Swan Reach.
  4. Sailing the CS17

    We are an international lot these days Jeff. Our twin sons and their wives and children live in LA (Silverlake) so seeing the grand kids is a major expedition. What we all have in common is a maritime history and a love of sailing. Everyone who has seen Dragonfly 2 since we launched her a couple of weeks ago is very impressed with Graham's design and the speed she achieves off the wind. With more experimentation and ideas from others I'm sure we can get the best out of this design.
  5. Sailing the CS17

    Sandy, thanks for your thoughts and observations. As I noted in my most recent post, it could be very helpful to those of us who have recently launched if we have a place to share experiences of how to get the best out of our cat ketch rig. Here in Australia, that is a very rare rig, most preferring classic sloops, so there are few people to talk to about handling tips.
  6. Aussie CS 20-3#5 "Dragonfly 2"

    Thanks Alan, that is helpful. I have been considering whether we could start a thread (unless it exists somewhere) on sailing tips for the Coresound ketches. I wonder if others would find this helpful?
  7. Aussie CS 20-3#5 "Dragonfly 2"

    Would you like to enlarge on that thought PAR? Do you mean adjust the angle fore and aft or athwartships?
  8. Marissa # 63

    Wow, your work looks great. I recognise that hull color - good choice.
  9. CS 17 #191 build

    The spray job is looking great.I wish I had the confidence to spray the finish, it comes out so much nicer.
  10. Aussie CS 20-3#5 "Dragonfly 2"

    Thanks guys, a picture is emerging and I will try the suggestions. More suggestions are welcome as I would like to work out how to get the best out of the boat and still enjoy her good qualities. Having built the first of this marque in Oz there isn't anyone close by to talk it over with.
  11. Aussie CS 20-3#5 "Dragonfly 2"

    As various people have said in the past, the Coresound flies when reaching and running, but I would love to hear any advice from experienced people (are you there Alan?) about getting the best performance upwind, especially close hauled. On my first attempts I have not been able to get her to point particularly high and still keep way on. If I close haul the sails too tight she just wallows without going anywhere fast. Suggestions guys?
  12. Aussie CS 20-3#5 "Dragonfly 2"

    Thanks guys. Steve, I think the 4:1 is needed. The spare line in the cockpit was so I could work out the main sheet length before cutting it. I am thinking of upping the MA on the mizzen sheet to 3:1. Yes, the hatch cover was off at the time, I will post more specific pics when we get home. Finger pickin on an iPhone is fraught with danger. The trailer has worked out surprisingly well. Pete, you'all is welcome to visit any time. More later.
  13. Aussie CS 20-3#5 "Dragonfly 2"

    My wife Tiia enjoying our maiden voyage!
  14. Aussie CS 20-3#5 "Dragonfly 2"

    The Dragonly is finally in the water and we couldn't be happier with her. Well, maybe I will be a bit happier once I install the correct masts. You will see from the pics that I have installled a pair of temporary masts with stays until the correct tubing arrives from the States via a company in Sydney. Even with the stayed masts she handles very well and we have sailed her for two days on Lake Macquarie near Newcastle in New South Wales (Google it) in calm airs and in some quite strong blows. Full marks to Graham for such a lovely design that handles the lake conditions so well. We are thrilled with the boat.
  15. I did the same as Chick regarding the double over at the keel and then attach the false keel over that. I routed a groove in the inside of the false keel and filled it with epoxy and flox then put the false keel in place and drove home the wooden dowels that I had pre-drilled. The rest was held in place by a lot of lead and many bricks until it cured. I'm calling it a false keel because it isn't really a structural member, just additional protection for the real keel. Regarding the gap in your cabin. I had a couple of small ones where I hadn't planed down the timber correctly, so I just used a piping bag of goo (white filler to make it easy to hide) and filled the gap. That should be plenty strong enough.