Jump to content
Panda FREE Antivirus for Personal Use (affiliate link)


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About Gunkee

  • Rank
  • Birthday 01/01/1

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling
  • Location
    Invercargill, Southland, New Zealand.
  1. Hi guys, I have used 6mm Meranti plywood for Kowhai's hull, but found it a bit heavy. So I made up this little launching trolly to make it easier to get it around. It works very well.... Alastair.
  2. Thanks for your comment. In New Zealand the native people are Maori. In the Maori language the word for yellow is 'Kowhai' (Pronounced Ko-fi )
  3. After a bit over 12 months my Spindrift 11 is 99.9% finished. Just waiting for Kowhai's sail from B&B and a couple of blocks then I'm ready for my next big challange, learning to sail her. But since things dont stop around here It's back to the Marksman 22 cabin boat... Alastair.
  4. Outboard Well or Pod Mounted

    Hi guys, thanks for the replies to my question, your input has been greatly noted. The hull design is a Hartley Marksman 22, she is a 15 degree double ply planning hull. Richard Hartley himself sways more towards twin outboards, so this is another option I can consider. I have no idea at the moment on what H/P I need so any ideas from you guys out there would be greatly appreciated.
  5. I'm in the process of building a 22' cabin boat. I have decided it will be powered by an outboard motor of around 150 to 200 HP, I am interested in other people's comments and opinions on whether the O\B should be mounted on a Pod bolted to the transom or mounted direct to the transom with a O\B well. And which method would the boat preform best at. Thanks Alastair. :?
  6. Progress on my Spindrift 11

    Hi Steve, what design was your wee 18' sailer that you built?. We have some very good designers over here in New Zealand, but alas in my opinion anyway they are more to the GRP contruction than with the old traditional timber + plywood way. All the timber on the spindrift so far has been recycled except the plywood sheets for the hull. I found it cost me an arm and a leg to get the wood machined to size for the frames and stringers and so on for the Marksman, so I bought an a Ryobi thicknesser and do my own machining. So for every piece of wood I now put through it helps pay for the machine. I have made the centre board out of a old Rimu bed frame it's worked well. Alastair.
  7. Progress on my Spindrift 11

    Hi Scott, thanks for your interest in my Marksman. I've added some photos to look at. I have been working on the project for about 3 years now, it has come to a short halt while I raise more cash to aquire the plywood for the next stage, so the Spindrift takes centre stage till that happens. Richard Hartley's Classic boats have been a bit of an icon in New Zealand and the South Pacific for the past 50 years or more. I also have plans in the future when I have completed the marksman and spindrift to build the bigger brother of Hartley's famous TS 16, a 18' Trailer Sailer. I havn't learnt to sail just yet but that should change with the spindrift, plus we can still get out and troll for trout on the beautiful lakes we have here in Southland. Alastair.
  8. Just thought I would show you the progress on my Spindrift 11. The wifes hardly seen me for weeks, and said to get my attention she needs to wear a sign saying 'BOAT'......well I am really building two. The other is a Hartley Marksman 22 Cabin boat, which is waiting for ply to finish the hull (only a couple of feet on the flared bow to go). The Spindrift has been great fun to build so far, after the more complicated Hartley . It's taken so little time with the stitch & glue method to get close to the same stage. My biggest problem (after the complaining wife that is) is space in the garage, I wouldn't dare show a photo of the chaos...2 boats in progress in one double garage. Anyway this is where I'm at- see photo, Cheers Alastair.
  9. Being finally able to finance some of the materials to be able to start the S/D 11. Then coming to grips with the Stitch + Glue method I have now got to the filleting stage of construction.