Dimension of Slot Cut on Cast-Away Stern Top

jack327

Jeff,

I'm in the middle of cutting my forms for my Castaway. Am I mistaken, or is the slot on the plans for the top of the stern shorter than it should be? The tongue on the stern does not fit the slot. Should the slot be cut longer/deeper to the curved end of the stern top so it mates properly with the back of the stern? Thanks in advance for your answer.

Jack

Jeff,

Here are 2 photos. Sorry, I should have thought about including them in the initial post

I assume Tab “A” goes into Slot “C” and that Tab “B” goes
into the 10” form/frame.

Is this correct? If so, you can see that “A” doesn’t fit
into “C”, therefore my confusion.

Thanks!

Jack

post-2676-0-33111200-1359852229_thumb.jpgpost-2676-0-21234000-1359852339_thumb.jpg

Looks like you have to make the tenon/tab  A  1/2" shorter by cutting the 1/2" off the aft end. This will keep the pieces aligned and also fit.   Yes, tenon/tab  B should fit into a mortise in the adjacent frame.  If you have any doubt of the alignment there just cut out the frame, but not the mortise/slot until you can try a dry fit to prove alignment.  The choice for the dimensions of the tenons/tabs and corresponding mortises/slots is some what arbitrary.  With all the details in a set of plans it would appear Jeff made a simple continuity error.

Dave,

Thanks for clearing up my confusion! I figured one of two solutions would work, either extend the slot or shorten the tab/tenon. Shortening the tenon will provide more joint strength integrity.

That makes sense.

I had already checked, and the dry fit of tenon "B" fit well into its adjacent frame.

Thanks again!

Jack

I kept looking at you photos and something wasn't right.  I was trying to figure out how you cut those parts so distorted. Then I realized you said Cast Away.  :huh:  I thought you wrote Curlew for some reason.

I will double check the plans latter. But just trim it to get a snug fit.