Understanding more about paint and polyester

jerryg

Hi everyone,

Well I am getting ready to start painting. Because rustoleum pro is not available in my area, I have chosen another product made by the same company called tremclad. You can see it here:

http://www.rustoleum.ca/CBGProduct.asp?pid=6

I stretched some fabric over a small frame I built to practice on. After two coats the fabric seems well covered, but still very flexible. I was thinking it was going to get very stuff and rigid.

Do I have wrong expectations?

Thanks.

Jerry

You are going to hit things, the fabric is going to distort. You need the paint to flexable or it will crack. That is one of the qualities that makes Rustoleum work well.

The flexibility is a characteristic of alkyd enamel which is what Rustoleum is and if I am not mistaken is what most oil based porch and deck enamels are.

New automotive paints are something different and have very little flex. So they will crack when bent and you don't want that on a boat!

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess the reason I was expecting it to be stiffer was from watching your videos showing how tough the skin is after painting. The fabric seems to be pretty stiff.

But it's all good. I can't imagine any reason why the tremclad stuff wouldn't work so I will finish my testing and see how it goes from there.

Thanks again.

I can't imagine any reason why the tremclad stuff wouldn't work so I will finish my testing and see how it goes from there.

I can.

OVERVIEW:

Tremclad Rust Paint offers superior rust inhibition and is specially formulated to penetrate rust and bind to metal.

The Rustoleum paint Jeff is using is not meant to bond to rust. It is made by the same company, but meant as an over coat and is an oil based enamel. I think the trade name is confusing you. Rustoleum has branched out and is now making a lot more paint formulations than the original rusty metal primer, including this new super rust over coat you have linked. But also they now make an oil based enamel that has many purposes. Do your experiments if you must, but I would surely find something I hadn't spent so much time on for it. And even if it did appear to bond, it doesn't mean it will do well over time. Oil based enamels are proven.

Hi Dave,

Thanks, and you are absolutely correct. I just got off the phone with a tech rep from Rustoleum Canada who confirmed that the Tremclad paint line is comparable to the Rustoleum, it is in fact another formulation, and is not recommended for anything that would be submerged. The statement about using it on metal only is a government thing, and they can recommend it for other surfaces as well (such as fiberglass) but I now think this is not the stuff for me.

So I am going to go back looking for a paint. Maybe a marine grade paint, or maybe back to my first idea of poly only, or maybe I can find an oil grade exterior enamel paint (if I can find one) that looks like it will do the job. Maybe something intended for wood, like a decking paint.

Thanks for the info, Dave, much appreciated.

Jerry

Jerry, NO ONE except marine specific paint will recommend it for underwater use. Don't let that worry you or you will never find anything.

Since you have it, try it on some scrap, let it dry for a couple of days and then wad up the scrap and see what happens. Obviously no way to know what will happen long term, but since it does penetrate the fabric some and if it doesn't crack or turn loose I suspect it will be fine. I haven't tried anything that didn't adhere to polyester tenaciously (so far).