Spindrift 11N - Armstrong Hatches, Seats Tanks and Epoxy coating

Steve W

Four questions today.

1. I bought a couple of Armstrong hatches from B & B. I'm going to install them in the seat tank tops for easy access to the tanks. I'm thinking I should at least double up the 6mm plywood in the hatch areas. Any thoughts?

2. The plans for the seat don't seam to show if they are glassed in. I have them installed and filleted, but I can't decide if they should be glassed. The plans and construction pictures do not make it clear as to what should be done.

3. I'm at the point I need to start epoxy coating some stuff. I bought my epoxy from B & B. I read that the surfaces should have three coats. Do I put a coat on, and then wait until it kicks and recoat (I did this on the centerboard trunk interior and it is pretty rough)? should I let it fully harden, sand and then recoat?

4. In the areas I plan to fair, should I coat with clear first, and then add fairing compund, or should I just fair it first and add the three coats tot he finished fairing?

I know I ask a lot of questions, but its my fist S & G. I've learnd so much already I'm already looking at plans for the next build.

Take Care,

Steve

1. I put my hatches on the sides not the tops, used a 5" hatches, also used 5mm ply for the sides and 9mm for the sea tops, (yes our plywood here is undersized)

2. taping the seams of the seats work for me. I forgot to tape the aft end of the seats on my cs17 and it was only filleted on there and that seam cracked after a couple of outings.

3. what you said... :)

4. by clear you mean epoxy yeah? two coats, then fairing compound.

Thanks Roy. the armstrong hatches are prety nice, and the access to dry storage would be sweet, but they are big! I'm a little unsure as to what to do. Putting the hatches on the faces means access won't be very convenient, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

Take Care

Steve