Vardo frames layout?

paxtonm

I'm going at a snail's pace, but having fun. Stringer stock comes home tomorrow. Tonight I went through the instructions cd (again) and although Jeff mentions that Vardo's bow section isn't mated to a frame, when I look at the layout for Vardo in the CD, and all the books in fact, frame measurements appear to begin with the stern at zero. Vardo's first frame is at 3-6, well beyond where it might mate with the stern but the last frame, at 13-9, would mate with the bow section for a 17-foot both. More confusing, plans called for a mortise-tenon type arrangement in both end frames and the bow and stern sections. This Saturday, I'm inclined to start at the stern section (13-9) and go from there, figuring out bow and stern last of all.

How far off base am I? Is it the bow that mates to the forwardmost frame after all? Thanks for the help.

Mark

The ever evolving boat design! :rolleyes:

ASSUMING you have the latest version, the bow and stern do go together as an assembly. VARDO is one of my earlier designs and it was one of the last ones I changed to the new method. Apparently I failed to change the manual or you received an old one without the change. I will have check and see.

Makes sense. The tabs and slots fore and aft mate perfectly (well, they would if my woodworking skills were better, but that's what rasps are for). I've worked quite a bit in publishing, including assembling some projects involving more than a dozen author/contributors. Believe me Jeff; I feel your pain. Onward with the project.

Mark

• 4 months later...

Hello all-

Well, after weeks of Boy Scout activities and a few other summer distractions, I have finally started to cut out the frames and associated pieces for Vardo out of my Baltic Birch plywood.

Jeff, it appears that I received the earlier version of the Vardo plans- the bow and stern pieces don't have the tab and slots depicted as per your book and construction manual. I have not cut out those pieces pending resolution to this issue. Also, Frame 5'5" (I think I have that correct..) is not depicted as symmetrical on the right vs left of the centerline of the frame. Part of the old design/blueprints? Please advise.....

Having fun. No shop to work in, so now the summer rains have started, putting a little damper on things....

Tim

Vardo's first frame is at 3-6, well beyond where it might mate with the stern but the last frame, at 13-9, would mate with the bow section for a 17-foot both.

Mark

Hi Mark, is the last vardo frame at 13'9"? Because I have a frame that says 15'3".

What do you think is the minimum strongback length for the Vardo? I'm running out of room or else I have to change my build location to the dirt and cover it with a tarp whe it rains. It's all I have available (although kayaks were built on the dirt or off the ground for thousands of years, right?) Obviously a shop is ideal, but it's either my deck of saw horses or on the dirt on saw horses. Thanks!!

Tim has a new set of plans headed his way. We have been rearranging the files on the computer to eliminate some confusion. I want to keep old designs as well as the new improved versions. Problem was It was getting confusing as to which was which. So we have been changing our file system and missed one. VARDO was stored it two places and we printed the wrong one for Tim.