Outer Banks 20

Hardshell

Hello Graham and Carla,

I would like to get some additional information on the OB 20:

What is the cost of the kit and what is included?

Are there study plans or line drawings available?

Are there perfomance estimates with a 40HP engine? I would like a 20-25 KTS cruise speed @ 3GPH, top speed 35KTS.

Are there any additional pictures available?

Are there any builders offering the boat?

Thanks, Andy

Hi Andy,

We have had a lot of interest in the OB20 since we put her on our web site. The one common theme is more horsepower. I have listened and I have redrawn her bottom and am increasing her scantlings for more hp.

I have a picture of the boat holding the GPS showing 20.6 mph (not knots) with the 25 hp motor. They seem to like to show powerboats in mph, probably because it is a bigger number. When you figure the heavier boat, motor and fuel you are not likely to get more more than 25 mph with a 40 and cruise at around 20mph. Depending on the efficiency of the chosen outboard it should use 2.5-2.75 gallons an hour at cruise.

We can get a study plan out after Carla returns from California next week.

There are a couple of builders on this forum who could build her.

Arch Davis's Jiffy V-22 is a design that I've wanted to build for some time. I purchased the plans awhile ago and have gathered much of the plywood and timber...space has been prepared in my shop...I was ready to start this fall. But when I received WoodenBoat #210 in the mail yesterday and read "An Apostle of Speed", everything changed. The Outer Banks 20 (from what I've found on the website) may be a more practical design for me.

Any input...Jiffy V-22 vs. Outer banks 20?

Hello Capt. I have an opinion the the Jiffy would be heavier since the specs call for a larger motor. The room in the Jiffy seems to be more open because its longer. But I bet that you could do the same with the OB20 and extend it with the blessing from Graham. my pennies worth and keep the change.  :thumbsup: [i like these new thingamabobs!]

The OB20 appeals to me because of its size and economy, to say nothing about the gorgeous lines (similar to the Jiffy V-22 but just a bit more...hmmmm? ...cohesive? ..."salty"?). I believe I can safely tow the OB20 with my Ranger pick-up where as the V-22 will require me to borrow a tow vehicle or trade my trusty Ranger. Economy of 1.5 gph at 15 mph is just what I want; I'm on the water to enjoy gunkholing and scenic cruising...our Connecticut River up here between Vermont and New Hampshire (especially north of Hanover) is wonderful cruising from May through November.

Can you tell I can't wait to send Graham a check for the plans? Anyone want to buy a complete set of un-used Jiffy V-22 plans (with Mylars) at a discount? 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ririzarry

Graham,

As a newbie, I was curious about your comment that the Outer Banks 20...

is not a stitch and glue "introduction to building type of boat" if built from plans which includes full size patterns for the "jig

Would you summarize what you think the major challenges would be for a beginning boat builder - someone with at least familiarity with basic hand and power tools?

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

Most of our previous plans are folded into the boat shape from given hull panel shapes. The OB20 is built from frames/ bulkheads, stringers and chinelogs. The sides are cold molded from thin strips of ply and stapled together until the glue dries. It gives a light strong boat and shapes that cannot be made from sheet plywood.

It is naturally more labor intensive than a folded boat. On the other hand I find that kind of planking satisfying as the planks are small and light and easily made. There is probably more attention than when building folded ply boats.

In your quote, we were just trying to make viewers aware of the construction difference on our web site.

• 1 month later...
Guest ILikeRust
We have had a lot of interest in the OB20 since we put her on our web site.

I also was looking at Arch Davis's Jiffy V-22 and just came across the OB 20, and I love its looks.  I'm wondering whether the OB 20 could be scaled up a bit to say, 24 or 26 feet?  And then would it be possible to put a head with holding tank in there somewhere?  Finally, could it be made with the outboard in an enclosed well instead of in the open?

Other than it's perfect exactly as it is!  :-D

Thanks!

- Bill T.

The OB 20 was originally started as a 22 for John. As we pushed and pulled on the design it ended up at 24'. John had a bad fall and the project was shelved. Chick came along and fell in love with it but could not afford a boat that big, the biggest motor he could afford was 25Hp. It was a struggle but we got her down to 20 feet.

I would like to finish up the 24 as I think that she would be a great boat post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The OB 20 was originally started as a 22 for John. As we pushed and pulled on the design it ended up at 24'. John had a bad fall and the project was shelved. Chick came along and fell in love with it but could not afford a boat that big, the biggest motor he could afford was 25Hp. It was a struggle but we got her down to 20 feet.

I would like to finish up the 24 as I think that she would be a great boat [attachment=1]but I have a lot going on right now.

I'd love plans for an Outer Banks 24. I look forward to seeing the finished plan set.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gregduncan

Woodenboat did me in again. I was ready to rebuild a 20 ft Simmons and put a small cabin on her for my camping trips, then I saw the OB 20, then see talk of a 24 ft one. I actively build and restore Mothboats. I camp with a 18ft Maycraft and I'm tired of dragging my tent in and out. I'd like to see the OB 20 in person if possible sometime. You have some nice looking boats.

Woodenboat did me in again.

Funny how that happens, yeah?

I was swayed by the article on B&B as well, and am now deciding between a CS20 and the EC22. Initially had plans to build a radius-chine-plywood lifting-keel 26 footer, but it was always going to be a lot of boat for us, too much, really.

And I can't wait to show my dad the OBX-20 (or -24... I think it would be perfect for an old fart like him) LOL.  :lol: