28 foot Crusier

Scott Dunsworth

I haven't got to do any work on my boat to amount to anything forever now. I have been building a house for a customer on a lake that's about 65 miles from my house, so I stay down there a lot instead of burning $200 worth of gas a week. Started in November and should finish next week. 

Next our house just sold and we have 65 days to build or to find and buy another. So it looks like the middle of the summer before I'll be able to get back to the build in any kind of serious way. :(  :(  :( :(  :(

I have ordered another 15 gallons of goo, but that's all the progress I've made.

• 1 month later...

• 6 months later...

The close as I have got to doing anything on this project is getting ready to apply plastic to the front of my building barn again. As I said in an earlier post we sold our house. We couldn't find anything we wanted in our price range, so we started building a house in June. We have the outside completed ( mostly ) and are starting on the inside.

So there has been NO movement on this 28 for a long while now. Looks like best guess of starting work on her again will be the first of April. 

Anyway I'm not posting to bore you with life issues, but to let some folks that have emailed me wanting to know if I gave up, not yet just being delayed.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Got our boat barn cleaned up and new plastic on the front of the building. I have two more weeks on a remodel job then I will be going full time on my house.

Spent a few hours and a few cold ones in the boat barn just reacquainting myself with my boat. I have decided when I go full time on finishing our house my two days a week off need to be spent on my boat for some R&R and some progress on the build.

Wish be luck, It's just eating me up seeing her just set there!

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Working on our 28 once again. Sanding and working on the keel wood tomorrow. On Christmas break we are going to start building the rollover jig, which should prove interesting. My wifes cousin has a crane and can get the boat from the pole barn to the new shop but can't help with the turn over. I'm planning a visit to Grahams in February to get the bulkhead plans, tabernacle plans. I would like to get the structural bulkheads in this spring so I can get the beta set along with the shaft log in. Then we can start thinking of interior layouts.

Still trying to collect lead for the ballast, but it takes awhile to hunt up 3000 lbs of the stuff. We are about 2000 lbs short now. When I was in a Key West boat yard in October they cut a 800 lb  lead keel off a boat and sold it to a salvage dealer, would have loved to had that chunk.

Anyway we are starting to move forward again.

Scott 

• 3 months later...

Got trailer modifications nearly done to move our 28 to the boat shop. Hope to have her rolled over and in the new building by the end of the month. Along with getting to work on it on a more regular bases I will be working towards getting heat in the shop for the winters to come.

Still have to get out and see Graham soon about other design features soon.  

• 2 months later...