Curlew Also

P Doug (WA)

Well, a major milestone! Off the strongback and the tradition lawn picture. She is all tied up! Well, except for the floorboards. I haven't decided to whether to make them from the plywood or I have some nice clear redwood that would work. Plus I don't have enough sinew to lash them in. I.m wondering if it would be okay to use screws. I have screws left from the little sail boat I have been building. What do you think? Sinew is pretty cheap so it's not a matter so saving money, but it's why buy more if screws would work. I need input. I can't accomplish much more until after the first of the year. Heading to my daughter's house for the Holidays so it well sit and wait for me. My wife said I couldn't take it with me!!??

post-19-0-36870700-1324339119_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-51985800-1324339225_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It looks like a kayak to me. :P Nice job.

I would not use screws. You are screwing into the end grain of plywood which does not hold well, especially when 1/2" thick an only 1 1/2" wide at this point, and you risk splitting it. I bet even glue may not be a good choice as the torque on the joints as the sole flexes would be significant. I think this is one place that lashings really shine, that is on a joint where the wood moves. The lashing lets it move. As to slats or plywood I like slats. Not sure though how well Redwood will stand up cut to half inch or so thick for this application. When you are sitting the load goes to most or all of the slats. But getting in and out the load may be on just a couple. If they flex to where the skin helps take up the load before breaking then it is probably fine. Jeff will know better if Redwood works.

Plywood and lashing for sure. I have epoxied seats in place in some early ones and they broke loose. As Dave said I would NEVER trust screws here.

Never used any redwood but considering the seat is probably the highest stressed part of the boat and the pain it would be to repair it, I would just use the plywood on this boat and you will never have to worry about it.

Well darn, last night I opened up that roll of sinew that Jeff said was bad, hoping maybe a good roll got mixed in with the bad ones. No such luck, it even felt lighter than what the good stuff I'd been using felt. With a pull test I could snap it pretty easily. It will work pretty good to tie up my berries next Spring,

Okay, messing around this morning, I doubled the lighter sinew and give it a pull test, When I pulled it it stuck together and was as strong as the heavy stuff. I'm thinking by doubling it and stretching it together I could use it for the floor boards. What say you? I really don't want to do anything stupid, but this is obliviously just a lighter weight sinew, there is nothing wrong with it.

I did the linseed thing today. I really think it is more fun to do the lashing! I may give it another coat when I get back after the first of the year. Got to order my foot pedals just before I head back home so they will be here not too long after I get home. What a fun project, so far.

• 3 months later...

Well today I declare my ship completed. I installed the skid strip and life line today. I placed an order, which included the rope for the life line with Jeff late Sunday night. It arrived today!! I was expecting it on Friday! So here are my set of "it's complete" pictures. Breakout the Champagne! It will go in the water as soon as the river gets over 62'. You well maybe notice - no painter. I, stupid me, drilled the hole for it, before I skinned the kayak, but after painting the hull, I can't find where I drilled it.

post-19-0-29548100-1334787818_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-41502200-1334787844_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-68689500-1334787877_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-30855900-1334787892_thumb.jpg

Looks great! Now to go paddling.

Just 2 comments:

1. Are you adding a bow painter? It definitely makes care topping safer and it can come in handy other times as well.

2. Don't say it is finished. There are always things to do to a boat of any kind. And you don't want to jinx yourself. After all............"A boat isn't finished until it sinks". ;)

Thanks but,

Please, oh please, don't say "sinks"!!!

Dave if I ever find the holes I drilled for the painter I well add it. With the sides so dark, I haven't been able to locate them. I've even tried shining a bright light on it to locate them. I think I can feel them, but not totally sure. Maybe I will get brave an stick a pin in to see it it is actually the hole.

Try a really bright light inside the boat in a dark place. If that doesn't work a pin is good choice. I have done that a few times. A pin hole will hurt nothing.

I don't know. I have a very small pin hole on the top of the boat by the coaming. Several people that have come to see the kayak in person have noticed it and commented, that I have better get that plugged! It's right next to the open cockpit,,, like it is going to let more water in than the big open hole I climb in??? :D:rolleyes: