Already modifying on day 1

ilnadi

The plans for the S11s arrived today and I have been going over them. The sloop rig calls for a deck-stepped mast and shrouds. I am wondering if I can replace it with a keel-stepped free-standing mast like the cat-rigged version. I understand that I will have to build sealed tubes or forgo having a sealed front seat since the mast steps are on top of the front seat. Also the seat will have to be reinforced side-to-side (athwart-ship?) I am more interested in if there is a structural reason for not having a free-standing rig, at least for the "optional cat rig" position. Thanks.

From experience with other designs, forestay tension is an issue with bendy, unstayed masts leading to forestay sag and poor sail shape in the jib. This affects windward performance quite a bit.

With a jib I'd stick to a stayed mast.

Cheers

Peter HK